Well, I was asleep....

• 1 reply
  • 41 subscribers

I knew it might happen when I craved the toast at 10pm. I thought it was early enough. I thought my tablets would work. 

Nppe. 

Here I am on the recliner after being fast asleep in bed because I need the angle of the recliner to keep my torso upright. This means that gravity helps work on keeping the acid in my stomach where it belongs. Which it just failed to do! 

Imagine your nose, throat, and lungs full of water. Like you've been swimming and mistimed a breath or something. Now switch that water for acid and ta da! Today I managed to wake up before it got to the worst it's been before, so I'm not struggling and gasping for breath at the moment. However there is a.... Rattle? A rumble? A gravely noise when I breathe, which means some of the acid did head for my lungs. 

It's slowly being expelled, because every few mins my throat suddenly starts to burn as the acid escapes a fold, or the protective phlegm produced to trap it and keep delicate things protected. 

I've taken my morning tablet now to try and help get it back under control, and I'm sipping water, that burns as it goes down, to help dilute what's in my stomach as well as to try and clear out anything still lurking in my throat. And of course to flush the protective phlegm and saliva away before they try to choke me too.

Anyone else have silent acid reflux and can relate? 

Brrrrrrrrr, it's cold down here! Blanket snuggling commencing! In 3, 2, 1......

Lass

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear

i totally sympathise with the whole acid reflux problem, I’ve been sleeping on a pillow mountain for years. I might as well be sleeping upright in a chair sometimes !
    The thing that helps me the most is my v shaped pillow as I can manoeuvre it to get my head and torso into the best position. I use two pillows under my head and one under my torso as I’m a side sleeper. I have used medication in the past but haven’t found it fail safe in my case. One thing i have found helpful is not to drink to much fluid with meals especially with my evening meal and try to drink plain water a couple of hours after eating instead to help with digestion and stomach emptying. I’m boring myself now L.O.L hopefully it will help you get back to sleep.