Hello night owls and the rest

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I see from post people are struggling with the stupid and time wasting systems we have in place. 

I tried my absolute best to get in and out of chemo with my injection done and medication ready to start tomorrow. I made it just over the bloods cut off limit but my breathing let me down terribly. 

I was adamant I was not going to A&E or staying in but I was cajoled into it with all the usual lies I have heard before. The winner was that A&E had no infectious people in today just breaks and cuts and I needed scans and antibiotics as I am extremely poorly with your husband doesn't deserve to have to cope alone at home. They were however very good they did all OBS they could and even managed to do all the bloods site a cannula ( no mean feat as it has to be in my foot and my veins are terrible) gave an anti biotic and got fluids up. 

A&E however was packed all corridors full of people on beds and in chairs waiting. Initial assessment was quick and she was sure it was not an infection but suspected a blood clot and ordered scans. However the cannula was apparently too small. 2 hrs later went to scanner guess what cannula is too small suggested they changed it and brought me back. Nurse arrives and is not happy I am not on the bed but in the chair as it is taking up too much room (ha ha). I explain best I can why and that if I get on the bed I will vomit. I am apparently being selfish to other patients so I get on the bed her face is a picture and my husband is trying not to laugh as I spray vomit everywhere for the next 30 mins. Funny thing I get my chair back. 

another 4 hrs a Doctor arrives just as my husband leaves as we have family arriving to stay and he needs to let them in. The doctor asks question after  question which I breathlessly struggle to answer and keep getting confused. I then explain I am going to faint he keeps asking questions next I know I am coming round to the most horrendous pain which I can feel but cannot respond to. The bruising on my neck is terrible. Once conscious I tell him breathlessly what I felt him do was abuse. 

Apparently it is all OK as I was unresponsive. He then says he wants me on the bed the nurse is very quick to explain why I am not. 

I still have not had these scans and he wants to do an arterial bleed test from my wrist but cannot tell me what good this test will be as I refuse any bloods etc from my arms due to lymphoedema. It seems to all boil down to the fact I need scans but cannot have them because of the cannula size. I have now waited about 9 hours expecting the cannula to be changed. So I ask why then does no one change the cannula he is dumbstruck, apparently he is the cannula king and no one had asked him. He managed to get it in first time which the nurse was amazed at as he had earlier managed to drop and smash an expensive drip I was getting IV fluids from. So I then went for the scan managed to pass out again in the scanner but this time the nurse did not resort to pain infliction. 

The thing that really got to me was that when my Husband came back to the ward after my initial collapse and my out burst. He asked to see him without me and explained that they thought I had a clot either on the lung, brain or in the leg and that I would be being admitted. Obviously I was now not being told things. 

I got to the ward a short while ago. Some things never change. Toilet not cleaned and full of poo marks, uncovered specimen bedpans on the bins and blood deposits on the floor by my bed. I pointed it out to the nurse and she said the cleaner would be round in the morning. 

Well big rant over. Nurse seems very nice she has noticed my drip is missing when the doctor dropped the original one they had no more in A&E.

It is do frightening what is going on in the NHS and deep down I know I would be better off at home. 

Hopefully I will get some sleep and home tomorrow. 

Good luck to you all

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for this I think it was a bit worse for you.

My husband was only asked about the DNR because I was so ill and they did not realise how well I usually am. My oncologist nearly choked when we spoke to him about it. Also if I did want to discharge I could it is just that they make things so difficult for people and don't listen to them. I am sure it is a power thing and only certain people but they are often bullies and even other staff are intimidated by them. It is also a concern over what is happening to those without a voice. I understand what you mean about being deaf as I am partially deaf and without my aids and laid down I actually hear nothing and you know I am terrified of being laid down anywhere other than in the safety of my own home. This also added to the trauma of having to try to sleep in a bed with a light shining in your eyes. 

As you said though I have said what needed to be said and backed off. Up to now any feedback I have had supports that I have been treated unfairly and dangerously by them and my response has been right and measured. However I like most patients am very much at the mercy of the medical staff and I have to acknowledge some are good some are bad. 

It is also a trade off. The ward I am on now the staff are marvelous but the setting is not favourable to my needs at present. Never mind I hope to be home tomorrow and I will start looking into what can be put in place as you do see some things that you know you do not want happening to you in the future. 

I have found that the consultants are very open to reasoned views but it is often others that want their way or no way. 

Tomorrow looks promising for home so I am looking to that and just thinking make do till then. 

You take care and hope you keep well for a good while longer. 

• FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember
    [deleted]
  • FormerMember

To all the forum members

i don t post very often ,but i feel that this site is very helpful and whatever is posted is just for this community and is posted to share our feelings in a non confrontational manner 

we are all very ill ,incurable cancer is awful ,please let us accept each other and our posts . 

Positive thoughts 

janet

xxxxxx

• FormerMember

Hear hear Janet

I was feeling quite uncomfortable with the progress of this thread. 

u have bn having a real c*** time recently. I can only hope none of us have the same experience & that things improve. Getting home 2 ur own bed is always our goal.

I look 2 the forum & its members 4 support, comfort & even a laugh sometimes- asking those questions that u maybe cant ask face 2  face of someone...

Take care one & all

WB xx

• Maz, I hope your evening hasnt been too trying and your bed is angled away from the light again so you can try and get some sleep!

Lass

Xx

I have no medical training, everything I post is an opinion or educated guess. It is not medical advice.

• Hi  You just concentrate on yourself and getting home so that you can go on that family day out on Saturday! I'm so glad the cardiac ward staff are more pleasant, it makes such a difference!

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I too would never discuss a post on this Forum with anyone out with this Group and I think anyone who does, is undermining how important this Group is!

@JackD, To be honest, I don't know why you contributed at all to this thread, especially if it is going to upset you! I don't think you totally understood what Maz was saying either. I can't understand why you would discuss a topic here with your cousin's wife, especially when she is a nurse. It's natural that she would disagree with these posts but it has nothing to do with her anyway!

Maz I hope you get a good night's sleep and are allowed home in time for Saturday. Sending a virtual (((hug))) and lots of love to all!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Dear , I hope this post finds you in more comfortable circumstances and that you will be safely tucked up in your own bed by the weekend. I totally understood the intention of your posts describing your unfortunate situation, being in hospital is a stressful experience and the ability to be able to vent to other incurables is very important as most of us have been there done that and bought the t shirt as they say and we understand the context of everything you are saying. The nhs does a great job overall but there is always room for improvement and it’s important we feel free to speak up for ourselves  when the circumstances allow, otherwise how can we move forward, not just for ourselves but also for the doctors and nurses who in the main want to do the best for us.