Hello night owls and the rest

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I see from post people are struggling with the stupid and time wasting systems we have in place. 

I tried my absolute best to get in and out of chemo with my injection done and medication ready to start tomorrow. I made it just over the bloods cut off limit but my breathing let me down terribly. 

I was adamant I was not going to A&E or staying in but I was cajoled into it with all the usual lies I have heard before. The winner was that A&E had no infectious people in today just breaks and cuts and I needed scans and antibiotics as I am extremely poorly with your husband doesn't deserve to have to cope alone at home. They were however very good they did all OBS they could and even managed to do all the bloods site a cannula ( no mean feat as it has to be in my foot and my veins are terrible) gave an anti biotic and got fluids up. 

A&E however was packed all corridors full of people on beds and in chairs waiting. Initial assessment was quick and she was sure it was not an infection but suspected a blood clot and ordered scans. However the cannula was apparently too small. 2 hrs later went to scanner guess what cannula is too small suggested they changed it and brought me back. Nurse arrives and is not happy I am not on the bed but in the chair as it is taking up too much room (ha ha). I explain best I can why and that if I get on the bed I will vomit. I am apparently being selfish to other patients so I get on the bed her face is a picture and my husband is trying not to laugh as I spray vomit everywhere for the next 30 mins. Funny thing I get my chair back. 

another 4 hrs a Doctor arrives just as my husband leaves as we have family arriving to stay and he needs to let them in. The doctor asks question after  question which I breathlessly struggle to answer and keep getting confused. I then explain I am going to faint he keeps asking questions next I know I am coming round to the most horrendous pain which I can feel but cannot respond to. The bruising on my neck is terrible. Once conscious I tell him breathlessly what I felt him do was abuse. 

Apparently it is all OK as I was unresponsive. He then says he wants me on the bed the nurse is very quick to explain why I am not. 

I still have not had these scans and he wants to do an arterial bleed test from my wrist but cannot tell me what good this test will be as I refuse any bloods etc from my arms due to lymphoedema. It seems to all boil down to the fact I need scans but cannot have them because of the cannula size. I have now waited about 9 hours expecting the cannula to be changed. So I ask why then does no one change the cannula he is dumbstruck, apparently he is the cannula king and no one had asked him. He managed to get it in first time which the nurse was amazed at as he had earlier managed to drop and smash an expensive drip I was getting IV fluids from. So I then went for the scan managed to pass out again in the scanner but this time the nurse did not resort to pain infliction. 

The thing that really got to me was that when my Husband came back to the ward after my initial collapse and my out burst. He asked to see him without me and explained that they thought I had a clot either on the lung, brain or in the leg and that I would be being admitted. Obviously I was now not being told things. 

I got to the ward a short while ago. Some things never change. Toilet not cleaned and full of poo marks, uncovered specimen bedpans on the bins and blood deposits on the floor by my bed. I pointed it out to the nurse and she said the cleaner would be round in the morning. 

Well big rant over. Nurse seems very nice she has noticed my drip is missing when the doctor dropped the original one they had no more in A&E.

It is do frightening what is going on in the NHS and deep down I know I would be better off at home. 

Hopefully I will get some sleep and home tomorrow. 

Good luck to you all

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Please take notice. I deleted the posts. I’m not under any obligation to explain myself. So no further comments from me. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you to you all

I never mean to cause any upset from my posts and do really value all feed back.  Sometimes it's what others say that keep us going and I do take things on board and try to help others. 

Perhaps in my desolation I made things sound too bad to some. I am not a trouble maker though and I have every respect for those who help and even go the extra mile for any one. My thoughts were only to help and to share with those who are it this unique position, albeit uwantingly, to help. I never wanted this to sound like I was being unkind to the staff but there are good and bad in every profession and good days and bad days for everyone. If someone is being unkind or unprofessional to a vulnerable person people do pick up on that and will make comment. I feel having this forum to do it can help you sort out thoughts and give you a better prospective on what is a problem and what is just upsetting to you because of where you are now. 

I am not going to apologise for starting the thread as it has been extremely useful to me and I hope others. It has left me a little wary about what I share but at the end of the day this is sometimes the only place we have left for support and a lifeline I don't want to lose. 

I however apologise wholeheartedly if my post cause unnecessary upset to others but ask that they keep on posting as we all need each other.

I actually did get some sleep last night and I feel like I am getting back to health along with your support. 

I want to finish by saying the care I am now recieving is really good at present and I have already placed compliments about 2 staff members due to their care. 

Saturday is still a goal I might make. 

• FormerMember

Dear

My heart went out to you as you described your awful experiences and I'm so pleased you've also experienced good care and compassion.

I had such a bad experience in hospital in July that two of my six councilling sessions were completely taken up with dealing with that. I literally didn't feel safe.

My recent admission was a completely different experience and has gone a long way to restoring our confidence.

I hope you'll soon be in the comfort of your own home and own bed, and have everything crossed for your visit to York this week. Just watching the weather forecast, eek! xx

• FormerMember

Yes my little grand daughter was on the phone yesterday and wanted to know if I was going to wear something fancy on Saturday. (They are going to a wedding service before I meet them). I was thinking more along the lines of insulated walking gear. Just looking so forward to seeing them.

However resistant you try to be things like this really give you a jolt and remind you how fragile life can be. 

It is however looking like it is not so much the cancer as the effects of the cancer on other things such as my blood pressure and kidney. My fear at present is that they take me off my cancer drugs I fought so hard to get reinstated. However that could be me just over thinking things again and I could just need an extra pill of something a day and be back into the thick of things. 

Love and peace to all as we work our way through this the best way we know how.

• FormerMember

Hi

I am so relieved to hear you’re getting better care. You sound as though you feel safer now. I think the thing I picked up from your earlier posts was just how unsafe you felt. I think it is very important to have a safe place to sort out our thoughts and if not here, where we have collectively experienced both the best and the worst of care, then where? 

I’ve got everything crossed for your release on Saturday and spending an enjoyable day with your loved ones 

xxx

• FormerMember

Maz, 

I just caught up on this thread, and though I cant figure out just who (ok, maybe I get that bit) and why, I am horrified that somebody on this forum has made you feel bad for saying what you felt. The whole point of this place is that we can say whatever we want, whenever we want.

No one has the right to censor other people's opinions. If they don't like what they see, they can stop reading. Please, please do not allow this person to make you feel in any way guilty, or as though you should apologise.

• Hi I hope you manage to your family day out on Saturday and get discharged Friday or even Saturday morning I'm sure would do! That was lovely you got to speak to your granddaughter on the phone, I'm sure it must have cheered you up no end! I hope you are fast asleep at this moment and was pleased to read you got a better nght's sleep the other night! Take Care 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember

Hi folks unfortunately not asleep but have been. 

They started me on a new med that took a rather long time to get so my 24 HR monitoring will get to tea time tomorrow but as you say it is doable. 

Only thing is I am feeling a bit unwell now and think it is probably a bit too strong. I know it is stupid but I have  Hiden myself in the toilet for a few minutes before I go back to tell them my symptoms. I am going back now and let's face it probably only need a smaller dose tomorrow. 

Always these problems with meds I get so sick of it but as he said yesterday any blood pressure readings starting with a 2 are not to be ignored. 

Off I go thanks for sticking with me folks. 

• Hi  Sorry you are not fast asleep but if you have had a bit of sleep already just maybe, you will get back to sleep once you get back to bed! I hope one of the nice nurses in the cardiac ward offer to make you a nice cup of tea and it settles you down for the night! I'm just off to do my jigsaws now, so please let me know tomorrow night, how you get on! Night night 

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember

Dear

just wanted to send you a virtual hug, I hope things go well today and you can be stabilised so you can go home tomorrow. I hope seeing how many people care about your situation gives you a little bit of comfort, we’re all rooting for you.