Do you have a bucket list?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 37 replies
  • 43 subscribers

just asking as I’m curious as to what you all want to fullfill in your life while you can.

i would like to get my book finished and published.

I also want to do my artwork more.

go to Scotland one last time.

and Ireland. I think that will be impossible.

Mexico, and Frida Kahlo’s Blue House.

most of the above are impossible, but I can dream!

what’s yours?

• Hi all

Sorry new to this site, normally on the prostate group but as I’am the same as everyone here thought I’d chip in.

A bucket list can be a funny thing, it’s things you want to do before the end, top of my list is to find a cure for this disease. I’am a great lover of spy movies and tv series, up to the fact, that in the last five months I am on my third book ( nearly finished ) part of a trilogy, comedy, romance, action, suspense. Trouble is I’ve no idea what I want to do with them. I also wrote a vampire and assassin novels there to be finished, Yep I have a great imagination.

I’ve thought about a holiday with my wife who’s my 24/7 carer. I kinda love the sun, ( but lots of sun screen ) canaries is my favourite place, but the insurance is astronomical for us incurables, understandable but not good for us, thought about just going and say what the heck take no insurance, still pondering that.

Other than that, bowl a 300 game at tenpin bowling, I used to be a fair player in my day, best I managed was a 289, don’t think my knees will take it now.

Well that’s a few things hope I’ve not bored you fellow sufferers.

Take care

Joe

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for showing us your artwork. It’s really beautiful. Snowdrops, you have captured them beautifully and finished off by that lovely rust soil ground. You are talented, you know something, I wish Macmillan would put together our artwork in a book, then the world can see our talent. Then the proceeds could go to MacMillan.

I’m not very good at flowers, I can make them too heavy. You have kept them light and with a wonderful sweetness of their dropped petal heads.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to joeven

Hi Joeven

welcome. Your bucket list sounds good, I like spy films. Fan of the Bond films. Lao The man from U.N.C.L.E. for all the 1960s The Avengers are not spies, I love the Emma Peel episodes. 

As for Vampires, I’m a massive fan of them. Started off in my childhood with the Hammer films and the old black and white horror films like the wolfman and such. 

I love Gary Oldman’s version of Dracula and also Salem’s Lot with David Soul. I love reading Anne Rice’s vampire novels, my favourite is the Vampire Lestat. At the moment, Dracula is on tv, I don’t like this daft programme. Give me Christopher Lee every time. Also Ingrid Pitt.

in one of discussions, I mentioned the Highgate Ceremony. It’s famous for its Vampire, said to have caused the village a lot of trouble back in the 1960s to the early 1970s. The priest was a descendant of Lord Byron. If you visit, don’t mention it, or you get thrown out. 

What do you think of The Twilight saga?

• FormerMember

Your picture of snowdrops is beautiful, .

My bucket list is simple as I’ve had a very exciting life with lots of travel and adventure and I am at peace with not doing the things i had planned for my 50s when this disease struck. 

Top of the list is finishing the scrapbooks of our lives that I started with my daughters over a year ago. I don’t want to call them memory books as it’s such a loaded term. They contain photos and writings about the places we’ve been and the people we’ve been with. 

I also want to write up the stories of my adventures as a reporter and Red Cross delegate in far flung places. My daughters love them and have asked me to do this so I really must get on with it. Sometimes I think it might be better to record them on a CD or some such. 

Xx

• FormerMember

Dear

As we are both radio 4 junkies, maybe you could record your memories of your travels in the style of “from our own correspondents “ with you doing your own version of Kate Adie or even a version of letters from America talking about pivotal moments in your life as a journalist. This could go along side scrapbooks of pictures, mementoes etc.

• I do recall you mentioning on one of my posts about recording a 'radio type' show.  Perhaps Macmillan could do something like this on this site so we can all connect in other ways as well.

As for my things I want to do list - it changes quite a bit but the constant is

get my PJ Wedding done (this will most definitely happen just a matter of when)

Travel first class somewhere wonderful (not sure about that one, but may be able to reach business class).

Return back to Mexico - where I visited first time last year - maybe I can go business class and that is two ticks off the list

I would also like to see the Northern Lights

Go hang out with the Oranutangs in Borneo

Go to one of the Soup kitchens and help feed those less fortunate than ourselves

its mostly superficial but hey I can dream

x

• FormerMember

You should do all those things. You have led a full and active life!

Brilliant idea of the scrapbooks. I might steal that one teehee.

• FormerMember

This is a fabulous little sketch Tessa. It would make a really good postcard.

I'm looking forward to seeing snowdrops soon. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to IamLyn

I can imagine you on the radio shouting “Messages from Daloni,” wow!!! I never knew you had this wealth of life! Fantastic. I’ve got a lot of catching up to do. But I bet I’m going to enjoy it. When you think of it, haven’t we all packed a hell of a lot in our lives! 

I will keep my mum up to date. She loves Primark, anything with Mickey Mouse on it.  She’s retired from the police force. As for me, I’ve been an artist all my life, doing cinema artwork and such.  Has anyone heard from Tvman? I hope he’s okay, so many people here are ill. I’m nervous about my blood test results on Monday. 

Today I’m getting on with some housework, I like to play my Irish drum for a few minutes each day. I like watching Netflix and really enjoyed The haunting of Hell House. It was scary. Just watched the latest  the Good Witch. I love Harry Potter.sad but true. 

I wish I could hear the radio. Never been able to. But that scrapbook sounds wonderful. I think the scrapbook and radio broadcast are both good, one visual and the other being a comfort and enjoyment on hearing your voice. But as life goes on, most of us end up with deafness, so I still recommend the scrapbook too. 

Can any of you sing?

• FormerMember

Here is one of mine.