Not ready for cancer retirement!!!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 26 replies
  • 42 subscribers

There are people who expect me to start acting like someone with cancer, not to do much. Rest etc.

But I’m doing the opposite...I’m not ready for cancer retirement. I want to share some good news. I have been accepted as one of the volunteers for the homeless in our town, where three churches are taking it in turns to allow the buildings to become a roof over their heads for the winter. I shall be part of the welcoming team from 8pm to 10.30pm. I’m prepared to stay longer if needed. I’m just so glad not to be on the scrap heap yet and at the same time helping people who haven’t got a home. 

But I must watch my back, like Tvman, I’m in a lot of pain with my back. And the tailbone of my spine. But life is my drug, so I’m going to keep carrying on and make the most of being able to do things for others while I can. Thanks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well done  ! that’s brilliant news. Everything I’ve read from any religion or spiritual leader says the same thing about finding the way through our own suffering. When you boil it down, it’s very simple. Be kind and help people. So I’d say that you’re living your best life. 

I hope you enjoy this volunteer role. I imagine it will be both tough and rewarding in equal measure. 

Lots of love 

xxx

• Hi That's a great thing to be able to do. It's a true saying that no matter how bad things get, there are always others in a worse situation! Our heating packed in on Sunday night, so we haven't had hot water or central heating. We went out this afternoon to a shopping centre and as we got out of the car we noticed one of the staff talking to a man who was sitting in one of the emergency doorways. As we approached close enough to hear the conversation we realised the member of staff was telling the man to "move on"!   I said to my husband how lucky we are, our situation is a temporary one and this poor man is trying to find shelter out of the icey wind. After the staff member moved, we asked the man, would he be offended if we offered to take him for a cup of tea, as we were going anyway! His sad eyes lit up as he said that would be wonderful! We went into the centre and stopped at the first cafe. We had a cup of tea and a toasted tea cake, he had a large all day breakfast and really enjoyed it. When we got talking he told us he had a bed for the night at the local Salvation Army Hostel but they had to be out by 9am and weren't allowed back until 9pm so he roamed the streets all day.

When I read your post, I couldn't believe it, well done for getting involved! I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to do that because I'm on elbow crutches or a wheelchair and would be more of a hindrance than a help but tomorrow we are taking some duvets, pillows, jumpers etc to the Salvation Army as our contribution. I do think if everyone does a little, it will add up to a lot! You just be careful to wrap up warm so you won't catch a cold!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Annette  and 

Well done you both, wonderful gestures. Among other things, my brother helps serve Christmas meals to disadvantaged senior citizens every Christmas Day and has done so far about 10 years.

When I'm going along a footpath in my wheelchair, I'm at roughly the same height as homeless people so sometimes I'll strike up a bit of a conversation with one, then unbeknown to them, I'll slip into a bakery or café and buy a sausage roll or something else hot and go back and hand it over to the person. That puts a smile on their faces. I'd rather do that than give money which may be spent on drugs. 

But, JackD and Annette, I'd say you've topped my efforts by a mile. Magic! Well done!

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • Annette, i am so proud of you to help someone in need it is such a kind gesture.

i wish I could do more to help them.

we helped some old people the other day who were American and out walking and neede to get to their accommodation but couldn’t walk the distance we drove them the 5 miles to their bed and breakfast.

it is good to help strangers in need.

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I’m now at my mum’s care home. Keeping a bedside vigil. She is very, very ill, not eating, not drinking, not taking her meds, totally shut down and suffering. They are wonderful. They keep having the medical people here, and I met one today, she made it clear how ill my mum is. They are so understanding. Mum is so little. So skinny when she was a size 30! All I can do is be here for her and show support. I tell her lots of time that I love her and thank her for being my mum. Can’t cry here. Got to keep my chin up. 

Annette you are brilliant. Maybe people here will follow your example. And did it in a wheelchair. You are fantastic. That reminds me that I must do the same, look for the same things. So I’ll follow your example. By the way...happy New Year 2020!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Here is a old picture of my mum.

• Hi

I'm so sorry to hear that your mum is so ill now. You're not alone sitting there, I'm there in spirit. 

Sending a warm hug

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to tvman

so sorry to hear your mum is so poorly, sending you lots of positivity and good thoughts, and remember you are not alone while you sit there, as says, lots of folk on here thinking of you xxxx

• FormerMember

Hi

I am really sorry to hear that your mum is so ill. I am glad you’re able to be with her. Keep telling her you love her. 

I am staying home this evening. I have a rotten cold and don’t want to pass it on to anyone. Also I’ve lost my voice and can hardly make myself heard. So I shall be with you in spirit, sending you and your mum all the love in the world 

xxx

• FormerMember

I’ve just got home. Very tired. I’m going to just feed my cats, get into my pyjamas and get in bed and watch the New Year roll in. Mum is so ill. They have promised me that they will contact me straight away if she declines further. She got very panicky when I was leaving. I reassured her that I will visit again as soon as transport opens up again. She asked me to get something from her for Christmas. So I decided it had to be something I could wear. So I was walking past a Pandora shop. Spotted this rose gold leopard head charm. Found out it came with the bracelet. So I’m now wearing something of my Mum’s. I don’t know what I’m going to do if she dies. What if her death finally opens the floodgates of my cancer?just as I leave, I tell her in sign language “Good night and I love you!” She used to repeat it back to me but tonight she gave me her beautiful smile. That means everything. When she was in her 40s, she had cancer of the womb and had to have it removed, so she understands what’s it like to have cancer and operations. She is so very popular in town, everybody is upset. Right...must go and feed my cats. Ella hates meat. She has cat soup, has the liquid but leaves the meat. The other two won’t eat anything cheap. I tried last week to give them Whiskas but they turned the bowl over! Spoiled rotten.