What's in a name?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Daloni, I was very interested in how you got your lovely name.

My name is Catriona. (the Gaelic spelling catches a lot of people out) I had a little cousin who couldn't pronounce my name and called me Tina. I was born in Israel, and 'lay' added to Tina means 'little one' 

Some of the names here are very imaginative! I'd love to know where they came from, although appreciate the need for privacy. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Gobaith

That's a great name Gobaith, especially as it has such significance for you.    xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

'Twit' is almost a term of endearment, lol.

Someone cut in front of us on a pushbike when I was driving in very busy traffic, my mum called him a 'clever dick'  It instantly defused the situation by making me laugh.

When she was a little girl, she and a friend decided to say the rudest words they could think of.

'Poo, belly button, drawers!'  is now a family favourite when things are going wrong. We had an hilarious night in the pub replacing  swear words with old favourites like 'smart Alec', 'clot' and 'scallywag'    xx

• FormerMember

Hi

I haven’t heard “clot” as an insult since my mother died. It was one of her favourites. I do tell my daughter she has congenital smartalecosis when she’s being too clever by half.

xx 

• FormerMember

Morning Daloni,

I'm stealing that one! xx

• Well Daloni, At least if your daughter changes her mind about the tattoo when she gets older, she can just write the words "once a" in front of the tattoo!!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • Hi Clare (Gobaith) That's really nice! When you think about it without hope there is nothing!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

I was simply too tired to post last night so I’m doing it now 

1. I had an absolutely lovely day at the seaside. Winterton on Sea on the east Norfolk coast. Beautiful dunes, a friendly cafe, lots of dogs, wide open skies. It was smashing 

2. Fish and chips for supper 

3. I was deliciously tired at the end of the day. The sort of tired that comes from spending the day outside. 

Xx