Bucket lists

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 42 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Since finding out, has anyone made up a bucket list?! What things have you/ would you put on there ? 

Purely just out of curiosity and for a bit of fun :)  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That sounds wonderful, . I used to do a lot of sailing - I had a fella with a boat at Hayling Island. There really is there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. 

• FormerMember

I really dont want to be negative - i have never posted on here before - but my husband took me to venice - i had always wanted to go - about 6 weeks after radiotherapy which i thought would be fine I am an active person but it wasnt at all. It totally wiped me out and took about ten days after to recover. There is so much walking and so easy to get lost and walk around in circles ! Its beautiful and if you further on in your recovery have a great time. Just wanted to mention that for me i felt so bad as it was done as a treat but it just exhausted me - we walked up to 20 000 steps per day ! He booked it near st marks square so we were in the centre - but the bells at night kept me awake so i didnt get my needed 9 hours ! It is also very expensive - although there are daily set menus and a good co op that sells fresh stuff

Do just sit by the grand canal and watch the world go by though and plan where you really want to see and can get to 

• FormerMember

I’d already made a bucket list before I was diagnosed, I’m chugging my way through that now!  I’d had easy things (cheap) like grow my hair long (tick), of course now it’s falling out!  and expensive stuff like seeing the northern lights(booked for November), it’s fun, and doesn’t necessarily need to be things that cost a lot of money. I’d like to learn to tango (still working on that)

• FormerMember

I learned to dive on honeymoon in October - it was amazing, the most calming experience ever. I'd actually discovered a massive indent in my skull the day before (I have secondary bone so this scared the crap out of me) but once I got in it was just the best thing ever. We so nearly cancelled and I can't explain how thankful we didn't - and my dent disappeared a few days after so my consultant thinks probably dehydration.

- we also bought a boat! What did you get? We have a 1976 Westerly Ketch - even older!! We have a LOT of work planned for her and she's currently dry after being sailed all the way from Ardrisheig over the course of last year.

I can't remember who said Venice - but I just spent a couple of days there with my son for his 17th birthday. I'd always wanted to go and he'd mentioned going after a geography lesson so I figured it would be a great present and something for him to remember. We did it on the cheap to be honest, lots of time just on the Grand Canal, jumping on and off the vaporetto at various points and having a wander and a beer and pizza obviously. St Mark's Square is very expensive, but just a little further down the canal is so lovely, quieter and cheaper - basically beyond the Rialto Bridge. If you can get a water taxi from the airport in, it's really worth doing it.

I just love to have trips planned - quick getaways or longer holidays. I always want things to look forward to, always. Did a Florida fly drive last summer with my husband (fiancé at the time, or this is going to get confusing!) and son and some friends, starting at Orlando, but then over to St Petersburg then on to the Keys which are beautiful. Went on an airboat in the Everglades, which I've always wanted to do, paddled boarded and ended up swimming with baby manatees.

Came back, two months later got married (amazing day) Our honeymoon was in the Dutch Caribbean - again amazing. Had a go at landsailing, went swimming with horses, dived, hired a speedboat for the day - loved it all. This year it's not so far afield, but we're going to Spain and then the south of France. I can't wait for those!

I don't so much have a list as I just don't put anything off. If there's a chance to go somewhere or do something I just say yes. My husband tends to try to organise things where I can relax either during or after if I'm not up to being too active, but I just figure I'll crash out when I get home if I need to. I also for some bizarre reason automatically seem to have loads more energy the second I'm on holiday - it's like a new lease of life. Maybe that's the sun?

I've also started to try to cook more as my nausea is currently well controlled. I made my first ever cake yesterday (slightly embarrassing - I'm 48!) but I was so chuffed.

Loving reading everyone's ideas and plans and things they've done!

• FormerMember

sorry I forgot to say - if you want a recommendation for a photographer for a boudoir shoot let me know where you are and I can find you someone fab. It's my job and I know a lot of really good people x

• FormerMember

I've bought a motor-sailor based on the Island Plastics IP24 hull.  She's 24', 4 berth (5 at a push if two are really friendly).  Single mast, conventional Genoa + main rigging with roller reefing (rotating boom) for the main.  The previous owner died last August and for the previous 3 years had apparently been his "shed" - she never left her moorings.  She's got a covered cockpit, so I can sail her in poor weather, though raising the main does require someone to go onto the coach roof.

Question: where do people get travel insurance?  The MacMillan book warns that is expensive/unobtainable with a terminal diagnosis, and the few insurance companies I've looked at just aren't interested.

• FormerMember

There have been a number of threads re travel insurance and people have found different things. However since the  terminal diagnosis I have never found anywhere that would insure me for less than the cost of several holidays. 

I have taken a risk a few times now and gone for insurance without medical cover and checked there would be plenty of flights back to England in an emergency. 

Others may have more positive experiences but just remember the whole insurance is invalid if you do not declare your illness. 

Good hunting 

• FormerMember

Hi Martin, just reading ur profile. If u've had a hospital admission this year that will probably go against you as well when trying to get travel insurance (it did for me & it's been a year since I had my 2 week NHS holiday!).

The travel insurance minefield usually gets confusing if you've had an incurable or terminal diagnosis. I've gone with Boots for the last couple of years & I was just happy 2 get insurance- it did cost an arm & a leg. Some people seem 2 b able 2 get insurance 4 less than £100 but I never have - think I'm 2 honest.

Re: ur pelvis secondaries. B4 I had radio 2 that area I was temporarily in a wheelchair due 2 the pain but it worked wonders 4 me & I've bn walking, working etc etc 4 nearly 4 years.

Good luck with ur treatment. I'm jealous of the idea of sailing around our shores & further afield in the good weather.

Ciao

WB xx

• Hi

i usually get my travel insurance from boots.  It’s never been expensive and I’ve always declared my stage 4 lung cancer.  I paid around £100 in total last year for 4 holidays for 4 people.

enjoy the sailing.x