Consultant today - questions?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 41 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I’m seeing my consultant again today after he broke the news on Monday (cancer reoccurrence in a different place, treatable but curable, average is 12m) 

What sorts of questions should I be asking? My head is a fog. 

Thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi 

oooh it’s a tricky one. 

I think three key questions might be: 

- what are the treatment options and what outcomes could you hope for? What are the best and worst case scenarios? 

- are there options to go for clinical trials and is now the right time or should this be considered later? 

- what support services can you offer, such as counselling? 

I have always steered clear of the “how long have I got” questions unless for a specific reason. So when I looked into the mortgage life insurance it turned out a prognosis of less than 12 months meant it would pay out. I explained this to my consultant who said she was happy to write a letter in support of the application to have the policy pay. I am mortgage free. 

It might help to read this info from the main site about asking questions and making decisions. 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/treating/treatment-decisions/questions-to-ask

I hope today’s meeting isn’t too traumatic. I always feel like a snow globe that’s been given a good shake after one of these. It takes time to settle and for the picture to emerge. 

Love and hugs 

xxx