“ tis the season”

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 33 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Today I went into town and the Christmas decorations were already up and it made me think of everyone in our little corner of the forum and how we will be spending the festive season. I’ve always been a bit of a grinch but this year I somehow feel different and have decided to embrace it. I suspect for some of us it will be a time of joy and also contemplation but the excitement of children can be uplifting and infectious and so I intend to channel my inner child this year and enjoy what it brings. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi 

you really made me laugh with your story of Christmas 2014. It’s exactly the kind of thing I would have done. I am also more focused on simply enjoying myself these days. I think the whole notion of “making memories” is just another way of adding pressure. We all make memories all the time and we can’t influence what anyone else will remember. We can just try our best to have fun and live the love we feel. 

We also split the duties in my family. One person (or couple) will typically take charge of starters, another will look after the joint, someone else will be on veg duty, pudding or cheeseboard. It works really well and means the whole burden doesn’t fall on one person who ends up in tears. 

This year we will all be in one place by Christmas Eve rather than converging on Christmas Day. My sister has done a joint shopping list with meal plan shared on google drive so anyone can add to it. There’s a Tesco delivery booked for the evening of December 23rd. We did this a couple of years ago when we hired the entire Dartmoor Youth Hostel for five days. The delivery was astounding. I’ve never seen anything like it. 

My decorations are not up yet. We tend to do them quite late as in previous years we celebrated Christmas twice. Once on December 25th and then again on January 7 for the Orthodox Christmas as my ex husband is a Serb so this was his Christmas. They were up a long time. I will probably do them earlier this year as I am hosting a group of friends on December 12. We always get together for a take away and a secret Santa. I can hardly welcome them into an undecorated house. 

The Christmas lights are now on in the Kent market town where I live. The high street always looks so pretty. My next door neighbours have gone full Christmas already and their house and garden could be seen from space I suspect. I went to see the movie Last Christmas on Wednesday - a surprisingly sweet and funny movie but definitely one to see with girlfriends. 

It’s definitely beginning to feel a lot like Christmas down my way 

xxx

• FormerMember

Dear tinks, how much is to much ? Well after a recent trip to the range Christmas department apparently there are no limits ! There is now no household item that hasn’t been subjected to Christmasfication ! It would be very easy to get carried away and your house ending up becoming a visitor attraction for local children L.O.L 

• We'll be having two Christmas meals this year also, usual Christmas day and one about the 8th of January when my daughter and family arrive. 3.year old Harry won't understand, but will he care? Don't think so lol. 

My son will be here from Aberdeen for Christmas day, it's been a few years since he has been here for the main event, he'll be getting married in a couple of months, as long as the situation in Bolivia has quietened down, latest signs are positive. 

He and I are quite close, first born, my Christian name is his middle one. Not just that, we share an interest in maths, he's doing a PhD in it,. He's quite keen, more than keen really, although sometimes I have to stop his enthusiastic explanation of AI because, well, my brain is hurting. He's working on sonar at the moment, changing the blob of something on the sea or river bed to a more detailed view on screen. 

As I said, we're close, he frequently finishes his texts to me with 'love you Dad', and that's so nice from s 37 year old son. Brings a tear to my eyes frequently..

Hope you managed to get over to sleep and you read this in the morning, Daloni.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.
  • FormerMember

Dear daloni, your secret is out ! You are in fact the worlds most organised woman, I think we need to get you to run the nhs ! 
    I saw the Christmas advert from sky tv which features the return to earth of E.T, the bit at the end when he says “ I’ll be right here” set me off ! I think I must have got something in my eye because I teared up a bit L.O.L

• Dear Maz, I can't believe the chemo unit haven't yet sorted out your meds! I know you said one of the secretaries is off but that shouldn't make any difference. You need to get this sorted and of course double check the letter for funding has ALREADY been sent! To be honest, I'm getting a bit concerned that if you don't shout loud enough.....they will leave things as they are and that's not good enough! Please get onto them 1st thing Monday so that by the 5th things are in motion!

All this talk of Christmas, decs, shopping,meals etc and it's not even (although nearly!)  1st Dec yet!!! We have a rule that says, no Christmassy things before 1st Dec then we all go to Gouldings Garden Centre in Clyde Valley on 1st Sunday in Dec which happens to be the 1st this year! It's an amazing place for the children and they have a terrific traditional Santas grotto to walk round before you see Santa! Real reindeers etc. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

Daloni, you sound as organised as our daughter. She has a Google app and a family Whatsapp group on her mobile shared with our son and his wife, and they write who is buying what for our meal etc. Modern times eh! Oh the Christmas of 2014, if you want another laugh! I thought I'd be organised and order shopping online for the first time. I had booked it for between 6-8 the night before Christmas Eve, when it didn't arrive, I phoned the store and was told I had booked it for the 'following week' as in the night before Hogmany!!! I then had to cancel the whole thing and my husband ran from shop to shop trying to get fresh single and double cream etc etc!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Hi Flowerlady

As this is my last Christmas with my daughter and 2 grandchildren (5 and 3 years) living with us I have gone nuts with the decorations and trees and tinsel and lights.  I have decided that this year there is no such thing as too much Christmas bling!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to flowerlady

Hi Flowerlady

As this is my last Christmas with my daughter and 2 grandchildren (5 and 3 years) living with us I have gone nuts with the decorations and trees and tinsel and lights.  I have decided that this year there is no such thing as too much Christmas bling!!!

• FormerMember

Dear Maz

Frozen 2 is awesome and remember to take a hanky! X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Thanks for this advice I have had a disturbed night as it suddenly dawned on me what if it is that the funding has been agreed for my meds reinstated and the letter yesterday was not just another mistake about meds they think I am on. I don't want to get my hopes up too much but I need to ring first thing on Monday and find out what meds they are actually talking about. It could be great news after all.

I am making a trip up town today with a lovely lady who has Special Needs and will see all the lights and Christmas glitter like a child seeing it for the first time. Keeping it simple a few shops and lunch so I don't run out of steam and she does not get too excited. 

It is easy to become cynical about the festive season and all the hassell that can get caught up in it but there is a beauty there in usually the very simple things. 

I will let you know what happens on Monday here's hoping it is a celebration. 

• Hi Maz

Have a great day today Maz, you're a star for doing that with the special needs lady. 

Fingers crossed for Monday.

Tvman xx

Love life and family.