Blood cancers and end of life care.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 1 subscriber

One of things that has always motivated me since my diagnosis has been the desire to spend my last days at home, so I did a lot of research into how practical that really was. I came across this article from Marie curie and it motivated me to put in place things which would increase my chances of having my wishes enacted. I have to say that as I come to the end of my journey I have become somewhat preoccupied with this subject and try to resist dwelling on it and just except I’ve done everything possible to make it happen. I’ve noticed that not many forum members in end of life have blood cancers so wanted to post a resource for them should they drop by looking for guidance. This article was very useful for me and I hope could benefit others.

https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/blog/why-are-people-with-blood-cancers-more-likely-to-die-in-hospital/151522

Jane

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Jane

I think that's an excellent thing to do to help others.

As you share my humour I will tell you about my mother's funeral. Shortly before her death she expressed the wish to go to medical science.  I said that they probably wouldnt do that just on my say so and there needed to be paper work. She didnt even have a will as she had very limited funds. 

She then deteriated very quickly and all this was forgotten. I arranged a suitable funeral that I think she would have liked. A friend prepared some food for guests to have at my house as she had been living me. It was a beautiful sunny winter day.

Then after all the guests had gone I was able to sit and reflect and suddenly remembered her request. I think my exact words to myself were 'damn, I wasnt supposed to bury her.' But it was too late of course.

I have included donations to researchin my will so hope that will make up for iit.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear tessa, as with all things medical there is paperwork involved so you were right about that !
    I have instructed my husband to make a generous donation to my hospice to pay them back for the five star service they are providing me with, it’s like a luxury hotel. A sense of humour is always on display In my crafting class at the hospice and occasionally some tears, which is always met with a hug.

best wishes 

jane