Journalling to reset

• 9 replies
  • 32 subscribers

I just wondered if anyone would find this useful. I am working my way through this book, using a notebook to journal in, using the prompts and suggestions. It helps you work out what is important to you and how you use your time. I'm finding it helpful after endometrial cancer. I don't feel I am the same person I was, so need to find a new way forward re goals and aims. Please click on my username if you would like to read my profile.

A x

• Looks great. I have journaled for a rather long time….. not a man thing to do Wink

This discipline came into its own when I was diagnosed over 23 years ago with an incurable blood cancer (link to my story at the bottom)

My five main journal questions have always been.

1. I am grateful for….

2. What would make today great?….

3. Daily affirmation. I am….

4. 3 Amazing things that happens today….

5. How could I have made tidy even better?

You will notice that I am a very positive person Joy

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Highlander,

Thanks for your reply, you are a positive person. Thanks for the daily questions, I'll use those. 

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Just read your profile Mike, you've been through some stuff, haven't you? Keep up the good fight.

0808 808 00 00 

• I think positivity gets a bad press when it comes to a cancer journey…… and I can understand why. But for me it is one of the best tools to control the battle between the ears.

As you had seen in my story I am now over 7 years out from my last treatment but still incurable……. and if I was to focus on this day in day out I would be wasting a hard fought for life…… and even then I have had a lot of post treatment ‘left over’ medical issues….. but I truly think I am living as good a life as any 67 year old who have not had to navigate the journey I have been in.

A few positives a day makes the day much brighter ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Sistermoon for the tip.  I'm finding life confusing after treatment and don't know which way to turn. Always as a nurse been a doing person, not good at sitting still. I'm Stage 3c melanoma and whilst currently NAD the odds are for it to return.  

At nearly 60 I want to work again but outside nursing but I'm so confused as to what to do it's even stopping me choosing!

I feel I should stop and think, stop and write because I may be running out of time to rethink a bad decision and I like the name "reset". 

X Lucy 

• Hi  

I used something similar called “The Way of the Tortoise” which I have let slip but plan to re start in this New Year. It is a journal too, where you have positive affirmations, building daily habits which reinforce gratitude and mindfulness, tips on exercise and nutrition, and goal setting. I see the idea of building on these daily habits, writing things down and focusing on the positive in being so helpful in framing your mindset to see even little achievements as big wins in your day. I look for the little things that bring joy to my day and try to see silver linings in the darkest cloud which is not always easy, but it can be done. I see a difference  when I do it, so it’s going to be my goal again. The mind is a powerful thing!

Any kind of journaling is good in my opinion, and I hope you will find it useful Lucy to help you work out what could be next for you.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Lucy,

Thanks for your reply. I find the book is making me think about what I enjoy and how I make time for it. I'm also a nurse, as I am stage 4 with aggressive cancer, currently stable after treatment, I'm not returning to my role as I want to minimise stress. I have been told that there is a strong chance the cancer will return.

Counselling helped to some extent but I also found Dame Deborah James latest book helpful. It made me think about goals and aims and how I work towards these each day. 

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do, take care,

A x

0808 808 00 00 

• Hi Sarah,

Hope you are well. Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look for the tortoise book.

A x

0808 808 00 00 

• Sistermoon, sorry to hear about your stage 4 but I am glad to hear you are stable.  It does seem that the medical profession or at least the researchers are heading towards keeping cancer more treatble nowadays, hurrah.   Being a nurse has its ups and downs doesn't it?  We have some info but we are still very much the patient here.  Even if ignorance is bliss I've the temperament to seek out all the answers and Google is very much alive and functioning.   I dropped my registration a couple of years ago and as I've nursed since 1983 it felt fine to stop.  I am looking at some more education though.  I had a late baby at 37 and she's too young to leave alone, mind you they always are I suppose.  My daughter, Rachel has been showing me her style of bullet journaling.  I shall try and find my own style with the journalling I guessHearts.  Take care Heart️️