Late Effects

• 1 reply
  • 34 subscribers

I am a 53 year old women who was diagnosed with Hopkins Lymphoma when I was 20 resulting in 2 years of treatment. 
I physical health started to deteriorate 25 years ago and has deteriorated further as I get older. 
The treatment has caused hypothyroidism, early menopause, crumbling of my lower jaw, depression, major arthritis in my left shoulder for which I can’t have a replacement because I wouldn’t survive an anaesthetic and my skin would not heal as it’s in the radiation field, lung damage causing shortness of breath, sleep apnea, dysphasia, diabetes type 2 and tomorrow I am having a skin cancer removed from my back. 
I am not looking for sympathy, I work full time and without the treatment I would not be here. However I would love to hear from anyone else who is/had experienced things like mine. 
thanks in advance. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various groups.

I was actually diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Stage 4a so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I appreciate the challenges of this journey well.

Your post treatment journey especially after the strong treatments used on Lymphomas do unfortunately open us up to other post treatment ‘left over’ challenges.

You can read my story by hitting my community name but I take the view that i live each day to the full. I had a lot of treatments with a number of problems happening during my treatments but I am still here and living as good a life as any 66 year old can ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge