After treatment finishes……….

• 24 replies
  • 33 subscribers

I know a lot of people have found the Peter Harvey paper so helpful in moving forward with their lives. A link has recently been posted on the BCUK site which goes to a slightly longer version which covers things like chemo brain as well. Hope it’s ok to pop on here ? If you want to bookmark the thread so you can find it easily at a later date then just click ‘Book mark this forum thread’ on the right then you can retrieve it at a later date by clicking on the bookmark symbol at the top of the screen next to your profile image

cancercounsellinglondon.org.uk/.../

• Thank-you Karen for adding this link. I was given a paper copy of the Peter Harvey version that is often added on this page, just after my treatment for breast cancer ended nearly 11 year ago. Reading that paper helped me to feel 'safe' like someone had thrown me a buoy as I tossed around in a stormy sea. This much more detailed read is fantastic and to me, fully reflects the emotions that we have to deal with after treatment ends. 11 years on I still get times when thoughts of a recurrence sit on my shoulder and whisper in my ear and I dont think that will ever stop. However, what cancer did give me was a desire to do the best that I could to reduce the odds of it coming back by reassessing my diet and my activity levels and at the age of 63 (tomorrow!) I am fitter than I was at 51 when I was diagnosed. After losing control in the diagnosis and treatment stage, this was my way of taking it back post cancer.

This group is as important to me now as when I discovered it all those years ago and while I dont often comment, I do read all that comes through and it all resonates to some extent. Hi to everyone on here and thank you for your company. You are a great bunch!

Karen x 

Karen
  • Hi , no problem putting up the looong version of the paper. It is a great tool Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Sending ((hugs))   and happy birthday tomorrow Tada I am 66 on Sunday x

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank-you Mike - you have a good one too! 

Karen x

Karen
  • . Happy birthday Karen BirthdayChampagneTada 11 years clear is a great achievement but as you say I think it’s always lurking in a dark corner. I’m absolutely full of cold at the minute and feel lousy - in fact the last time I felt this bad was when I was struggling to recover after surgery and was hit by a couple of setbacks - it’s brought back some unhappy memories and frightened me a bit although deep down I know it’s just a heavy cold?! My hubby filled the oil burner with covonia last night but eventually he started to feel sick and I couldn’t even smell it! On the plus side a glass of wine is lasting me all night! 
    Hope you enjoy your day 

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Happy Birthday,I hope you have a good day.Love Jane x

• I hope you feel better soon Karen.Love Jane x

• . Thanks Jane Hugging x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Happy birthday to both and !!

Hope you both have a super day!

• Hi,  this link says its not safe, so I can't get to it. Any chance of a different location? Would love to read the longer version!!!