Back to work

• 12 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I started work again on Tuesday following 8 weeks of sick leave. I am on a phased return, only 4 hours a day and working from home, day 3 and I am numb with tiredness! I worked the morning and counted down the hours till I could hit my bed and have a nap. All the extra time I had in the last few weeks when I felt well enough to do things has gone. Hoping that will catch up over the weekend and then gradually gain my energy back. It will be a bit of a race as increasing hours week on week and back into work in 3 weeks with travelling adding to work day.

Taking it a day at a time, Ho hum.

So glad I can share this with folk that understand.

Best wishes to all.

Honey Two hearts

• Hi , you might have to take your phased return more slowly n over a longer period of time. Being back in 3 weeks' time doesn't seem to give you enough " breathing" space. Can you negotiate longer?

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Buttercup01,

Thank you for your reply.

Not  sure I can negotiate more time, I had to work to get 3 weeks. I will see how it goes. I have a very understanding and supportive GP if I am struggling. 

Getting my head around not being superwoman, I was so used to having a surplus of energy. Plodding along, one foot in front of the other, it will take as long as it takes. 

Best wishes

Honey Two hearts

• Hi Honey

I am sorry to read of your struggles regarding working.  Please forgive me if you are already aware but you are legally protected by the Equality Act 2010 along with the Disability Discrimination Act.  With a cancer diagnosis you are protected for life and your employer has a legal obligation to support you in your return to work - this is not a choice for them, they have to do it.  Can I suggest you take a look at the Macmillan website as there is plenty of information about this on there and also ringing the Helpline and ask to speak to a member of the work guidance team and explain your situation as they will be able to advise you. As you may already know a phased return to work is a reasonable adjustment  which your emplyoyer is obligated to provide for you.  The more information you can empower yourself with on this will help you if you feel the need to further discuss the situation with your employer.   Also,  it is good that you have a supportive GP - it may well be worth speaking to them as they can input into this as well regarding your employer.  Another avenue for you would also be your medical team and your Macmillan Nurse as they also can help with any static you may get from your employer and also advise you too.

This is a  huge adjustment for you mentally and emotionally as well as physically - the impact of this cannot be underestimated and returning to work will take some time and can be a difficult process to manage.  I would gently suggest taking another look at how you do this as trying to cover too much ground in a short space of time can be counter productive.  Reassess what you can realistically manage.

Take care Honey, I am sending you a Big (((Hug)).

I am always here if you need to talk xxx

Ourgirlinthenorth 

• Dear Outgirlinthenorth,

Thank you so much for your post, I think I am in a kind of denial, had some rogue cells go had operation, few weeks off work now get back to service as normal. I am pragmatic and my GP used the word stoic. I am a grafter, in the past 45 years I have had next to no time off work, haven’t really needed it. 

I had a better day today in fact it was a good day and now have the weekend to relax and recharge my battery.Work is a great distraction. I will have a look at the information you so helpfully suggested. I am glad to be here, this is unchartered territory for me.

I work for a large government organisation and asked my manager what support occupational health offer it would seem none. I had an end of week meeting with manager, she did ask how I was coping and would I manage 5 hour days next week so there does seem to be some leeway if I need to work less. I had planned to retire next year but can leave sooner if I want to. I feel that I don’t want to make any big decisions at this time. 

Thanks again for the hug, I haven’t had any physical contact for over 9 weeks except when I was in hospital. 

Warmly,

Honey Two hearts

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good Morning

Don't make the same mistake as i made, i went back to work far too soon and expected to be able to do far too much. I just ended up battling with myself because by the time i had finished work i had no energy to do things at home.

I was lucky enough to have a couple of appointments with a fatigue nurse before lockdown, she explained that "You have to put YOU first" only do as much as you feel you can do. You will eventually build up your stamina but don't put yourself under too much pressure. My Gp gave me a fit note for work but put i needed amended hours as well as a phased return.

Take it easy and speak to your manager and if no luck there ring MacMillan for advice. They are open 8-8 every day 0808 808 00 00 

• Me again!

Week 2 of return to work. I have increased my hours to 5 a day and should have had the day off tomorrow but a meeting has come up. However, I am really enjoying the mental stimulation and knowing what day it is. 

I read the information up regarding disability and my employment rights, well, I am amazed! This is good news I feel rather empowered, a bit of knowledge is a wonderful thing. 

I am still getting fatigued, it is a most strange experience. One minute I am full of vim and vigour and the next I am like the bunny that didn’t get the Duracell batteries, all my energy disappears and I experience brain fog. I have to lie down and wait to recover, usually takes an hour or 2. However, I am focusing on how fortunate I am that most of the time I feel well. 

I contacted the Macmillan nurse and will speak with her on Thursday. I would like to increase my physical activity but concerned it may make the fatigue worse.I will experiment over the weekend.

Highlight of the week tomorrow, I have an actual face to face appointment with my osteopath, oh happy days.

Best wishes to all,

Honey Two hearts

• Lovely to hear you brighter, albeit still fatigued.

Know,just what you mean re mental stimulation n what day it is!

I really miss that, despite having retired 5  years ago 

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi Honey

I am so pleased to hear you sounding so upbeat and that you are getting your week off to a good start, although a bit of a shame you have a meeting on your day off!  You need a treat for yourself for afterwards. 

I am glad you found the employment rights/disability information helpful - having the knowledge and confidence in your position is empowering should you need to exercise it.

Fatigue is a tricky one - I am still dealing with this and having to pace my self daily since my chemo finished end of October last year.  I find I don't have the energy levels I had before my diagnosis and worry some days will I ever get it back anywhere near but I am able to do things even though I have to take more breaks rather than go from one thing to another like I used to.  I like your description of the energy disappearing and the brain fog because this is exactly my experience - as my energy diminishes so does my concentration levels and I cannot think straight it is like a wall that hits me and if I over do it the effects carry on for a few days.  It is hard not to get frustrated sometimes but i am learning to pace myself and accept what I can and cannot do on any given day and strike some balance.

I love your proactiveness in helping yourself Honey, I am sure your Macmillan Nurse will be able to advise re increasing your activity and the impact on the fatigue - I shall be interested to know how you get on.  Also, I am sure seeing your osteopath will also help  - I used to work alongside an osteopath providing massage for his patients for a number of years and saw first hand the positive benefits for people who were in physical pain often as a result from the impact the stresses in their lives had on the physical body - there was usually a link between the two, in most cases.

I hope you continue to have a better week this week and don't forget to treat yourself too.

Take care and best wishes xxx

Ourgirlinthenorth 

• Hi Everyone,

week 3 of phased return. I felt too tired last week to post here. After working I had no energy leftI have increased hours again this week to 6 a day, So I will see how that goes.

I did have a pleasant weekend, met up with 2 friends in a garden, food and then a walk in the rain, it was more fun than it sounds.

I am working through the Restore programme, set a goal of ironing and having a tidy round. Being nicely goal orientated I did the ironing 11pm Friday evening and went to bed with a sense of achievement. I didn’t manage to get round to any housework, I have a wonderful cleaning company that come in a few times a year and blitz the flat, do all the high cleaning, the tiles gleam, paint work polished and carpets cleaned. Even the oven looks like new. I contacted them today and they are working, very COVID aware and are coming on Friday morning. I am unreasonably happy about this. Will now think of another goal to aim for.

I had a good long chat with the Macmillan nurse I met in hospital on Thursday, just what I needed, so good to be able to chat without the need to ‘self-edit’ out the cancer bit. She was full of information, a good listening ear and has referred me to the local Premier Football league and Macmillan Exercise programme, waiting for assessment for that.

I contacted the occupational health department today and spoke to a nurse there, my manager was incorrect about the support available.  If the fatigue doesn’t improve there is lots they can do including a full assessment and formal report. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Best wishes to all.

Honey Two hearts

• Hi Honey,  just wondered how you are getting on? I am in the position you was then. I was 3 weeks into my phased return, and had to reduce my hours. I'm worried I won't be able to do my job again properly. Any tips please x