Back to work

• 12 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I started work again on Tuesday following 8 weeks of sick leave. I am on a phased return, only 4 hours a day and working from home, day 3 and I am numb with tiredness! I worked the morning and counted down the hours till I could hit my bed and have a nap. All the extra time I had in the last few weeks when I felt well enough to do things has gone. Hoping that will catch up over the weekend and then gradually gain my energy back. It will be a bit of a race as increasing hours week on week and back into work in 3 weeks with travelling adding to work day.

Taking it a day at a time, Ho hum.

So glad I can share this with folk that understand.

Best wishes to all.

Honey Two hearts

• Hi Betsycar,

Apologies for delay in seeing this as I have recently retired and have been away. My understanding is once you have cancer you have legal protection in the workplace under the disability act.

I contacted the Macmillan helpline and they gave me all the legal lowdown. I felt much more empowered having the information and was able to negotiate with my manager. My GP would happily have signed me off again if needed.

If your workplace has an occupational health department they may be able to offer you an assessment. I felt vulnerable when I returned to work. I was still having cancer related fatigue. I did the HOPE course which was informative and gave me skills to get my health and energy back. My energy did return and I was able to resume my usual duties and had a really productive 2 years I. My work before retiring. 

How are you getting on? 

Sending you all good wishes for your recovery.

Honey Two hearts

• Hi,

As Muhammad Ali once said -- "Don't count the days, make the days count!"