Feeling so strange...

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 28 subscribers

Big night for me tonight, first night out with my girlfriends after getting the all clear following mastectomy and getting used to tamoxifen and the joys that brings. Couldn’t cope and was crying in the taxi on the way home at 9pm, perhaps I shouldn’t expect so much or think I’m going to feel normal then I wouldn’t be so disappointed...

• Hi  welcome to this little corner of the Community.

Your reaction last night is not that unusual, in fact rather normal in the early stages. Remember that you have walked a path that a lot of people just don’t understand. You have in some way have had to deal with your mortality in being told you have cancer but you are alive and like me it takes time to get to grips with this.

You are on the recover and healing part of your cancer journey and for a lot of folks this indeed can turn out to be the most challenging part of this rollercoaster journey.

Your treatment (life) was all mapped out for you, you had targets and goals to work with and a basic end goal..... but the post treatment part is not very well detailed, some folks get to ring a bell and that is about it, but you are not given the instruction book for this part on how you get though this part.

On your post treatment journey you will pass milestones where you will have tears, laughs more tears, confusion, lots of questions. You will say I want my old self back but you can not find it...... sounding familiar?

First step - make a cup of tea and coffee and have a look though this great paper and come back and give us your initial reactions.

The post treatment recovery is a process and we can help in some way to walk it through with you.

((hugs)) from a distance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks Mike. I’ve read the article a couple of times.

I’m thinking now whether I even am post treatment or not. Although I’ve been told I don’t need Chemo or radio I’ve just started tamoxifen which is causing me side effects and I still have numerous steps and months before my reconstruction is completed. Perhaps because I’ve been told I’m cancer free I’m expecting to be a lot further along in the rehabilitation process. I’m always been hard on myself and in control and now I don’t feel in control of any aspect of my life. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chabrol,

I feel for you. My story is very similar. 51 years old. A shock diagnosis after routine screening, mastectomy in January and tamoxifen. I’m all healed up again so why is life not getting back to normal? I’m happy doing the things I enjoy on my own but if I go out I just end up wanting to go home. Maybe this is anxiety? I really have to go back to work soon but the thought just makes me panic. I don’t really know what to suggest. Perhaps arrange a few quieter, shorter nights out to start with, like going to see a film, and build up from there? 

Feel free to message if you want to chat 

M x 

• Hi again  I think the paper is great and does ask some good questions that can challenge our perceptions as to where we are and what we need to do to move life on.

I am 4 years 4 months and 23 days post my last official treatment... not that I keep a record, but I find it important to look back and see the miles stones in my post treatment journey. You will see from my profile life has not been smooth so reflection makes me remember where I have come from and the progress I have made.

I am not cured just in remission and the calendar on my condition has just been pushed back but I refuse to let cancer define me.

I did a reply in this group a few months back and the admin team turned in to Community Blog - follow this LINK and have a look.....saves me typing it all out again ;) 

So yes you are still on the journey but have you moved on from where this all started?....... I would say yes.

Talking to people face to face can help a lot so check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, I hear that the HOPE course is great. We don’t have this course up North but I went to the “Where now?” course at my local Maggie’s Centre and this helped me unpack all the stuff I had collected and kept in my invisible rucksack of stuff.

((hugs)) from a distance.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi M 

thanks for replying it seems are story’s are pretty similar...I’m trying to get my head around things but I guess I’ve not underlying issues I need to get those resolved first. I’ve had a really bad weekend and now it’s over I feel I need to pick myself up and start doing something different to help. 

Like knocked off centre due to tamoxifen and the impact it’s having. I’ve always struggled with stuff like this and could never really take the pill due to headaches and mood swings. The things I have decided to do are get done counselling and also start exercising again. I’m back at work and it was weird feel like I’m everyone’s topic of conversation and with corona I’m now working from home which again doesn’t help my mental health. 

Hope your ok, it’s a difficult path...suppose we need to decide what’s best for us xx