Cancer buddy

• 1 reply
  • 28 subscribers

Hi there everyone. A couple of weeks ago I attended an event arranged by LOHAS about "Resilience living with and beyond cancer". It was so liberating talking to fellow cancer sufferers and survivors and it make me realise that although family and friends try their best they just dont know what we have been through and what we are going through. I got really depressed and felt so lonely that iin the end I went to see a Counsellor at the Breast cancer Haven in Leeds. I felt so much better after talking things through with her and she actually suggested trying to find a "cancer buddy" to share thoughts and feelings with and maybe meet up occasionally for a coffee.

Any ideas??

• Hi again, great question and worth you and others looking at.

Some folks will not touch this with a barge pole as it’s a reminder that cancer has been part of life - but I developed some good buddies over the years.

Check to see if there are any schemes in your area by using this link to Local Macmillan Support. We have buddie type scheme up in the Highlands especially for folks who fly in from the Western Isles to Inverness for the day to go to clinics and have tests.

I have made some good friends through going to courses at our local Maggie’s Centre.

Think about doing some volunteering for Macmillan as from what I have seen from talking at some meetings there are long life friendships developed.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge