Life after cancer

• 3 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I have been in remission for over 5 years but I feel like I am still struggling. Even though I do not show it, I am being weakened by the discrimination not only for workplaces but everywhere I feel.

People still treat me like I need extra support and that I am less than them as a person.

I feel as if I am great in many ways, i just hope people could see it soon before i crack...

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m not sure what remission means , I have been recently operated and finished chemo . I’m in limbo , the waiting game ! . I’m not up to date with what’s next and to be honest I don’t think I wanna know! . I am now back at work and it is full on ! Im thinking they don’t even care . This is hard  

• Hi savetheplanet and cepcee.

You both sound like u could do with chatting through how you feel post treatment  You're welcome to do that  in this group but u may find it more beneficial to talk face to face at a McMillan or Maggie's centre? Or do you have counsellors at your local day hospice?

Have a look at the In your area link on the home page for more info or ring the helpline 8am to 8pm  0808 808 0000

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • A Hi from me as well, being diagnosed with a rare type of Lymphoma back in 1999 and spending years having treatment having been told I would never see remission let alone see a cure was a life changing experience......... fast forward17 years to September 2016 and being told I was in Remission and NED (No Evident Disease) was an even bigger life changing moment.

I am under no illusions that my condition will not come back and indeed, due to all the skin treatments I have had I am well open to skin cancer - but this will not stop my family and I living and loving this new dimension in life.

No answers from me...... but more looking at the possibilities that are open for us. We have chosen to concentrate on living life without fear rather than being controlled by fear.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge