Preparation for hospital stay

• 13 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, I'm new here.  I was diagnosed last month and 3 days before Christmas met with my surgeon who explained that because of the position of my tumour, he will remove my rectum and I'll have a permanent stoma.  My stoma nurse should be ringing this week to arrange our first meeting but I thought maybe you could help.  Obviously I need to take nightwear and they say comfortable day wear to the hospital.  I live alone so need to be organised.  What would you suggest? What will be comfortable?  Nightdress or pyjamas? Skirts or loose fitting trousers?  It sounds trivial as I type this, but I feel the need to be in control of at least part of this process.  

This has been the hardest period of Happy New Yearing I've ever had, my emotions are all over the place.  I know I'm lucky I can be treated, but I've not yet processed how my life is going to change for the coming months and my body forever.  

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Jill

• Hi Thisisme1.Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.i hope people  who have the same type of cancer respond.I found these helpful. loose fitting clothes especially around the waist.I wore hospital gowns and ordered a lightweight dressing gown from Asda that was suitable for post op.Tops with easy access to your arms.Slip on shoes,slippers to save you bending over.dry shampoo,wipes for hands if you are not up to walking to a sink,tissues,a long lead phone charger if you have a mobile.I found the hospital water tasted foul so really wanted some bottled water or some juice to disguise the taste.My sister lent me her lounge style trousers and they were very comfy.I hope your operation goes well.Do you have much support from friends and family ? I live on my own too and it’s sensible to be prepared.I had to have help when I came home from hospital for the first week or so.Best wishes Jane 

• Hi  and welcome to the group.

I do understand the need to feel in control of at least some things, when so much is taken out of our hands after a cancer diagnosis. It’s a lot to take on board, and honestly your question is not trivial at all.

I had a different surgery to the one you’ll be having, but I have had my rectum removed and have a permanent colostomy. In terms of nightwear, a nightshirt/nightdress is much better than pyjamas as it will allow the staff to check your wound and stoma more easily. I brought nightshirts, but in the end I didn’t wear them at all and stayed in the hospital gowns for the whole time I was there-I was in for 13 nights for my particular op, and as I was having my bladder removed at the same time and having a urostomy, it was very much simpler to be in the gowns!

I took clothes-loose tops and leggings-but didn’t get dressed in them until it was time to go home. The type of surgery I had meant I wasn’t really up and about much, only to the chair and the shower, but I would take day clothes which you are comfortable in as your situation will be different. I’d suggest things with elasticated waists-nothing with a tight waistband or zips and buttons as you will be getting used to having your stoma. A cardigan is useful as it’s not always warm in there. 

In terms of other things to take, a long charging cable for your phone or iPad is very handy as the sockets might not be easily accessible, some lip balm for the dry atmosphere, and I also took in some nice toiletries, body wipes and body lotion/hand cream. You may want an eye mask and earplugs as hospitals are both bright and noisy. 

It’s a shock to know you are having a stoma and yes, it does change your body forever, but you might be surprised at how quickly you get used to it and it becomes second nature to deal with. I’ve had my 2 stomas for coming up to 4 years now, and actually find it difficult to remember life without them. 

Recovery will take a while, so will you have some support at home when you’re discharged? You should be visited at home by a stoma nurse in the early days to make sure you are coping, and to tell you all about ordering your stoma supplies. I found I was very weak and very tired, so I did need a lot of help, but your recovery shouldn’t take as long as mine did. 

If there’s anything else you want to ask, please do and I’ll try my best to help. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Just to wish you well and reiterate what the others have said.I had a different surgery, a panproctocolectomy but the hospital items are similar

A long charging lead,dry shampoo,lots of reading matter or puzzle books ( the days can seem quite long)

I was in for 2 weeks and wore the hospital gowns due to drips etc(i had ileus) but nighties and dressing gown are worth packing along with slippers as they will have you up and about asap.(even with drips etc)

All the best and do let us know how it goes

Kath

1. Ps.stomas are really easy to deal with honestly.Do click on user names to see how others have got on
  • Thank you for taking the time to answer. 

1. Hi Jill, thank you so much for posting this. I have surgery on 16th January for rectal removal and permanent stoma bag. I have packed and unpacked my bag trying to decide what I need and don't. I have no idea how long I will be in and feels like I am packing for a holiday that I already know won't be a holiday! I hope ur surgery goes well and I am so grateful to this site as I feel like I am.not on my own. Kind regards estelle
  • Hope everything goes wellThumbsup

• Good luck with your surgery.Best wishes Jane 

• Hi  and welcome to the group

I’d like to wish you well for your own upcoming surgery, and subsequent recovery. Having undergone 3 surgeries in the past 4 years, one of which included rectum removal and a permanent colostomy, can I just say that over packing is a thing! 

I have on occasion taken in much more than I needed or used, and the locker provided by your bed is not very big, so that’s something to bear in mind too along with everything else! 

Please feel free to ask any questions in the group and others will help based on their experiences. All the best-you are definitely not alone and there will always be someone who can help you through.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hello Thisisme1,

Perhaps some soft mints, fruit pastilles and Rich Tea biscuits. All are easily digested and free from bits and shouldn't do you any harm. Chocolate can have a laxative effect and is perhaps best avoided. Menthol sweets are handy; I found that lying on my back most of the time caused congestion in my nose and throat and the last thing I wanted to do was cough or sneeze in case I strained the stitches!

Stick with it and you will be home before too long.

Dulac