stomas, sleep, diets

• 35 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I found not eating after 6pm helpful regarding sleep. For a while in the early days if I stuck to the above meant I only got up once in the night about 2am to empty the bag.

For some unknown reason it helped if I didn't look at the clock to see the time. 

As you mentioned getting five or six hours of unbroken sleep is bliss. I often suffered with pain in my stomach which usually meant an adhesions flareup. I was advised by stoma nursing staff to take co-codamol. This worked threefold; It offered pain relief, slowed down my output and helped me sleep. I'm not advising anyone to take this medication. Professional medical advice is vital.  This medication is codeine and paracetamol combined so needs careful monitoring.

• brilliant.

My best result was wotsits which your post reminded me of. I used to go slowly, slowly with new foods.  It can be disheartening seeing a plateful of beige coloured food before you every day. I used to use a colourful dinner plate to add some colour.

Kath
    "don't think about tomorrow"

• wait until you try beetroot.........

Kath

• Yes Kath & Nick,

I try to see the funny side of it now.

Just out of hospital, new to emptying the bag I was horrified to see my output was green! 
    Then I realised, I had drank an isotonic blueberry drink, so with yellow output and a blue drink I had green. 

best wishes

Artsie 

Ann
     ‍Art

• I  does lucky to get some much loperamide my doctor  themrations

• Just an update on the late night crackers

My Stoma nurse recommended trying some late night dry crackers as she said that sometimes the ileostomy over reacts into a kind of starvation mode and out puts more. 
    Well as my normal nutrition mode did exactly that, it hated me skipping meals, I thought why not try.

ive tried the last few nights and woken up two hours later. So for the time being I’m carrying on with my late night dry cracker snack.

I did try peanut butter on once,, never again.

best wishes Artsie

Ann
     ‍Art

• hi Artsie, crisps, quavers, and wotsits - lots of wotsits worked for me. - and Doritos. Tried salted peanuts; ate the whole large bag- changed the bag  - result - projectile waste matter hit my mirrored wardrobe at high volocity. I now stick to very small bags of peanuts - these prove good as gold.

Kath

• Blimey i thought nuts were totally banned !? i eat smooth peanut butter though …

• I love wotsits.. do they slow things down !?

• they worked for me. At the time I had a high output illiostomy. I often felt sickish a lot in the early days and they also helped the nausea as well.

Kath