Stoma post chemo

• 2 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer in Nov 23 & had a temporary ileostomy 2 weeks later. Since then I’ve had radiotherapy and 4 cycles of Folfox chemotherapy. Waiting for date for op to remove the cancer.

Just wanted to ask if it’s common for the stoma output to change at this point, even though I’m eating the same food & still on a low fibre diet? Also the stoma seems to have become more active at night, with lots of noises keeping me awake, and I’m having to empty the pouch more too. Any advice or tips would be gratefully received!

AlbaH 

• Hi  

I wanted to pop by and say hello as you wait for others to answer. I have a permanent colostomy so don’t have the right experience for you, but hopefully others will be able share their experiences. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• AlbaH,

I have had a loop ileostomy for approx 2 1/2 years, performed pror to surgery to remove a large rectal tumour. Output can vary in terms of frequency and consistency due to fluid intake. Yes, gurgling noises occur generally at bedtime but they make me smile and I am of the habit to empty the pouch whenever I have the opportunity. As long as it works then all is well.

Dulac