Ostomy scissors

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi, I’m looking for some advice re best cut as the scissors I’m using don’t cut a smooth edge. Please share your experiences. Thanks, 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

The scissors normally supplied by the ostomy supply companies are usually round tipped and I must admit I don't like them either.

I asked my supplier if they could give me pointed tipped ones and fortunately the one I was using at the time supplied me with a set.

At that time I was placing orders with all the companies and can't remember which one it was

Suggest you contact your supply company and ask if they can supply you with a pointed set or any chemist should have a stock of nail scissors.

Sorry can't be of any more help 

Ian

• Hi . I see to remember my scissors having a slightly bent/ curve end but to be honest I was rubbish at getting a smooth edge! The nurses seemed to cut round very quickly with long cuts turning the bag as they cut but I was more tentative with short cuts and I think that was the problem. Eventually my husband took over and used coins as a template ( I started on a £2 and finished on a 10p) then used out a stiff piece of card inside the bag and used his stanley knife! He also sometimes tried to use my nail file to sand the edges smooth!****THIS IS NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED AND OPEN TO PROBLEMS*** but your question just reminded me - sorry!

Have you broached the subject of pre-cut bags with your stoma nurse? After a couple of months when your stoma has settled into its final size then the nurses can measure it, send a template off to your provider and all your bags will then come ready cut to that size. I know Ians not a fan but it saved my hubby a job.

Hope you’re continuing to recover well

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kareno62

Hi Ewok.  I know I am a few weeks behind you.  Had APR surgery 5 and a aphalf weeks ago but my stoma nurse cut all mine for me for the first couple of weeks and since then has ordered them pre cut.  All absolutely fine.  Hope you are doing well. Xx

• Thanks for those tips @Bodach, @Kareno62 & @Tina cb. I think my stoma is still settling down, so I’m happy to cut mine until that time comes when I pass on that responsibility. I’m still researching scissors to no avail online as trips out are a bit rare. So making do with what I have at the moment. Progress is good thank you.  Xx

Ewok
  • This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.

• Hi, new people looking for support possibly especially as there’s so much to take in when your first diagnosed. An archive reference would be useful and appreciated I’m sure. 

Ewok
  • Hi  
    Just wanted to thank you for starting this discussion thread as members are finding lots of support from hearing your personal experiences. Green heart

If you need any help using the Online Community or finding additional support, please do get in touch

Best wishes, 

Megan
    Macmillan's Online Community team