Stoma not happy as slight leaking under slim base plate?

• 8 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Can anyone help with this one.  

Any tips please? It’s causing a bit of inflammation around the stoma. 

I’m using a slim base plate under my bag and mucous from stoma is preventing a good seal despite efforts to dry it off before I put it on. Nurse suggests sticking barrier to back of the bag and then putting it on but I don’t think that will work because I still be trying to stick to the same skin which is close to the stoma... 

Thanks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, sorry to hear that you've got this problem and I not sure what your stoma care nurse means by sticking a barrier to back of bag as barrier is a clear film that either comes in a spray or wipes but now also comes an something that looks like a lollipop please open this up Independence Products Samples and look at the Independence Fusion applicator this was given to me by a hospital stoma nurse and I have found it a god send, you can ask for samples to try and they are available on prescription.

With regard to the mucous I assume this a clear liquid type substance that leaks from the base of your stoma where it meets you skin 

You could try using some stoma powder and dust it very lightly around your skin but you must ensure that you get as much of it off before you start to apply pouch.

You are using a slim seal before you attach you pouch and there are other things you could try, the manufacture claims they are not effected by moisture The products are made by TRIO ostomy products (I will send you a link later) they have 4 type of silicon seals in two different sizes and in flat and convex. They also have a silicon gel which you could try around your stoma before you put on the seal and pouch 

Going back to Fusion product it also could help with the inflammation.

I hope this helps please let me know if you need any more help.

Link to follow.

Ian

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Trio Ostomy Care open this up Trio Ostomy Care Samples to see the products I mentioned seals and gel. This form lets you request Samples.

Please keep me informed.

Going back to Independence products also ask for samples of Acubond strips SB2, I think they are wonderful.

Ian

• Thank you so much @Bodach Ive been having a quick look and this looks great. I’m going to look in detail now. Happy new year to you. Much appreciated. 

Ewok
  • Hi

I am using Tre seal lSKU Number: 071-30.  I was surprised that the stoma nurse told me the barrier was absorbing bad stuff and it wasn’t really leaking. (that’s what this stoma barrier does). It acts like a buffer absorbing all the bad stuff keeping skin healthy. So I’ll just have to learn how to trust it. She couldn’t really explain why the skin still felt sore especially as it didn’t look too inflamed but it could be that it’s still quite a young stoma. (9 weeks). Am I expecting too much? 

Ewok
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ewok

Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding I wanted to check my notes on a point before I answered

At 9 weeks in your stoma and the skin around should be settling down but remember you have had some major surgery and your insides will have been pushed around and disturbed and need time to settle back in place again.

I am surprised as I think you are about the comments made by your stoma nurse on barriers and their uses 

The following is what barrier wipes/sprays are for

Barrier Film Wipes and Sprays.

Leakage and trauma caused by the constant changing of a stoma bag can lead to sore skin. Barrier Film Wipes and Sprays are specifically designed to leave a gentle, protective film on the skin immediately around the stoma. They can help to protect the skin against leakages, prevent sore skin due to frequent bag changes, and prevent perspiration penetrating the adhesive. Apply to clean skin and allow to dry before bag application. Barrier Film does not need to be removed with every bag change.

As you are using a Dansac Tre seal can I suggest that you give Dansac Skin Protector wipes a try

• Dansac Skin Protector wipes offer protection against damage to the skin due to removal of the skin barrier.

Features
      Designed to protect the skin against stoma output and pouch adhesives from repeated removals
      Alcohol-free solution designed to help avoid stinging on sensitive skin
      Available in convenient, individually packaged wipes

REF 081-30   Box of 30 wipes
    •       
      Prior to using any of the products referenced, be sure to read the entire Instructions for Use package insert supplied with each product for device Intended Use, Description, Contraindications, Warning, Precautions, Adverse Events, and Instructions for Use.

I have created a link for you to request Samples just press the green text below to be taken to the sample request page you just need to complete and send it off.

DANSAC SKIN PROTECTORS (Barrier Film)

I have only suggested the above as you use their seals but any barrier film should do the same job as they are in the main all compatable and you can ask for samples to try from all of the manufacturers.

There is slight chance that you are having an allergic reaction to one or more of the items you use and it could be even the adhesive on the pouch flange. Again if you want you can ask pouch manufacturers to send samples to you to try, the only restriction in changing the type of pouch is that you should, if you are using a flat flange, have your stoma nurse authorise the change if you decide to permanently change to convex flanges.

Refresh my memory which make of pouch are you using and 1 or 2 part.

Don't know if I mentioned that I am currently using a product called Independence Products Fusion applicator, which is a barrier film and looks like a lollipop and they have greatly enhance the adhesion of my pouch to my skin, I even wipe it over the seals I use to get a better stick.

I can if it would be of any assistance to you I could put together a list of pouch manufacturers and barrier film wipes if you wanted to try alternative products.

As I say I am surprised by the comments made by your stoma care nurse my one always has plenty of samples in her car and if I ask about something she will give me one to try. Is your nurse a hospital or a community one?

Again my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. If I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to ask, it's what I am here for.

Ian

• @Bodach

Hello Ian, 

No apologies necessary. Thank you for getting back to me with a comprehensive assessment combined with information to help me overcome the issues I am having with my colostomy. 

I ordered some samples from Independence so they should arrive in the next few days. As far as bags are concerned I’m using the midi sensuro 1 piece drainable which is a good fit and not to heavy. There seems to be no evidence that the bag itself is an issue. The stoma has shrunk quite remarkably since it was formed 9 weeks ago. My only thought would be that it doesn’t protrude as much as others I’ve seen (on google). Having discussed this with my regular nurse it doesn’t seem to be an issue either.  

I have found all the Stoma nurses very helpful so far. The nurses are based at the hospital but they also see patients in the community. I forgot to mention I was given a pack of silicon wipes which seem fine so far but the skin still feels sore/tender although not duly inflamed.... so no different as yet. I was asked if I’d had any accidents (no) because there was some evidence of pancaking on top of the stoma. Having thought about it (not realising this was actually happening quite frequently - because I’m new to this) this is probably more the cause. I have done some research,  so I’ll do a bit of experimenting and hopefully I’ll get there soon.  I don’t think it helps that I’ve only really just started to get some verticality in my life - sitting is still an issue but we’re hoping that will take off soon. 

Thanks again for your continued support, feedback and understanding. 

Ewok
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ewok

No problems I am pleased that I can help.

Having a stoma and its management is not an exact science quite the opposite and all problems are solved using the trial and error principle.

To be honest most problems are solved by listening to other ostomates and taking their methods throwing them in the pot and picking out the bits and bobs that make it work for you.

In other words there is no right way and no wrong way if it works for you go for it.

Anytime you need to ask about something just give me a shout out.

Ian

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.