Ileostomy reversal

• 15 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Not been on here for few months but I have had a phone call yesterday my reversal is tomorrow and looking for a few tips on what to eat after the operation and what to expect 

read a few things and to be truthful a bit scared off what to expect ?

• Hi  

I hope all goes well with your surgery. I’ll tag  as Ann should be able to give you lots of helpful advice having been through the reversal process.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks Sarah

Hi Fraser1

Congrats on getting your operation you must feel apprehensive, I did 

I had an Ileostomy which I had a full life which didn’t stop me from doing what I wanted and I expected to have an adjustment period to gain control 

I had a varied diet at that stage so post reversal I kept a food diary eating things that I knew were okay. So very low fibre and small meals. 
    To be honest I was very anxious about eating as my output was fluid, my colorectal nurse was very abrasive saying to eat mash potatoes , chicken etc. she was right and once I bulked up my bowel movement settled  

There amazing tips here. I gained so much from being in this group 

Good luck.
    It’s a strange sensation after op I remember sat up in bed and I felt a tiny squeak from my bum. It was the first time I’d passed wind in thirteen months. Twas really funny 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thank you yes I am a bit worried read a lot off stories about having to be near a toilet and not going out for months ,bowel habits being bad just need to hear some good things ,I am book for a holiday in four weeks time and the surgeon knows this and still happy for me to go if every thing goes to plan ?

• You will be fine. I was two weeks when I had to dash to the toilet especially on waking. I wore a pad when sleeping or going out just incase for about two weeks 

The trick is getting in the toilet and prepared then deep breathing and holding on. It gets easier.

Read as much as you can on the LARS here I did. There’s so many tips on exercise and food more importantly bowel control. 

Good luck I’ll be thinking of you. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thank you this just what I need to hear I know it won’t be plan sailing but just need a little hope !

• I know what you mean I wasn’t sure I would go through with it. I had a full life with Whoopi (Ileostomy) and I was concerned that I would be attached to a toilet 

I do not have regrets and felt that if I didn’t try I would regret it. 
    I’ve not regretted it and I have flown to Spain and travelled about confidently. It just takes time, eating the right food for you but most have low fibre , exercise and the right products for confidence …..

Pads, Sudcrem or Vaseline Soft wipes a small portable Bidet from Amazon I found so good for washing my bottom  dabbing dry then applying cream  My bottom was sore as it hadn’t been used for over a year  

Pelvic floor and holding will get you there, keep that food diary but I’d advice to just take it slowly to start with. 

Pop on the LARS if you need and advice. 
    Best wishes 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thanks again  I will have a lot off questions after tomorrow 

• Good luck 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi just wanted to know all seems to have gone well and I see what you meant by passing gas lol thanks again. Sure I will have plenty more questions I the next few  days