New to stoma

• 28 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi,

My mum is trying to get use to her stoma bag after having her operation and she’s having lots of pain in her stomach which I have been told could be gas, she has also been having really bad lower back pain which again could be wind but I’m not sure if it could be anything more serious. This is all new to me and my family. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And also how long does it take to get back some kind of appetite as mum isn’t eating much at the moment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. X 

Kris 

• Hi Kris, I am about to have a similar operation to your mum's. I did the treatment in reverse as the tumour was too big & had metastases.I first had chemo, the sides effects started after the 3 rd session & were worse as it went on . You must keep thinking the outcome is worth the side effects. I also had to start again after the sepsis' interruption with both chemo & radiation, that was 6 months ago. 

I wish your mum all the best and you are a wonderful daughter to be so supportive! XB

• Hi Bri26

Good luck with your Op, I pray it all goes well for you. 
    what side effects did you have and which chemo type was you on? 
    We have to remain strong for my mum & as difficult as it’s going to be seeing her get weaker hopefully it will all be worth it. 
    Thanks for your wishes, I wish you all the best & stay positive, you have come a long way! I hope things consistently start improving for you. 

mum is the most important thing right now and getting her better.

Kris x 

• Hi Chris

I had 6 cycles (18 weeks) of chemo before surgery. I had some fairly unpleasant side effects including peeling skin on my hands and feet, dry mouth and extreme sensitivity to cold. My advice to your Mum would be not to downplay the side effects. I started by doing that but once I decided to stop being "brave" and be absolutely honest with the doctors and nurses about how bad I felt they were able to adjust the chemo dose, give me stronger painkillers and "pause" treatment at one point to allow my body to recover before restarting chemo. It was all worth it in the end as the tumour shrank from 8 cm to 3 cm which made the eventual surgery less intrusive.

Not everyone gets bad side effects and I don't want to worry you or your Mum but it is best to be prepared.

Good luck and stick with it.

Limassol

• Hello Kris, I first had Folfox injections  through a picline, they gave me nausea & diarrhoea  to start with, I took some tablets for that , the 2nd week , my fingers got stiff like a cramp without the pain, it happened frequently but didn’t lasttoo long. Then Constant pins and & needles first in both calves , developed later in the toes ( peripheral neuropathy), I still have this a year later. My hands started trembling, that lasted many weeks. The nausea too., painful jaws ( at the back) for a few days,mouth ulcers twice again for a few days, the nurse gave me a special mouthwash. And I could not grab cold things from the fridge without wearing gloves : that was very painful !

I was advised to keep a diary about everything : food, side effects, treatment. That was very helpful.

then I had sepsis, had to stop the treatments for 4 months, the cancer spread on a lymph node on the aortic vein. I restarted intensive chemo - radiation, that was very tough: very sick daily, weak, very tired ( slept everytime I could), feeling rough, loss of appetite & weight , etc…it took me months to recover. 

Sorry for the details, you need to be ready. But not everyone suffers the same way. I met a man in the waiting room who had no issue & was on his last session! Your mum must listen to her body, sleep as much as she feels like, drink a lot to get rid of the toxins force herself to eat caloric foods& fight! Good luck, love, Brigitte 

• Hi Limassol,

Thanks for sharing. We are constantly on mum to say how she feels as she is known for down playing pain etc. I have read your post to her as I think it helps.

That is so good your tumor has shrunk! I hope you are doing well now that you’ve had your surgery.

Thanks the side effects are slowly kicking in now which are not very nice. 

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Kris

• Hi Bri26

Thanks for sharing and please don’t apologise as I’d rather know what others are experiencing so we are prepared. 
    I am sorry to hear you had such a terrible time going through all of this. Seeing mum with just a few side effects is so sad, she is constipated now and laxatives dont seem to be working so will contact the hotline number provided for advice.

Thanks for all the advice x

Kris 

• Hi kris just a thought maybe if you can speak to your mums gp re poor appetite ,she might be able to get ensure drinks on prescription