New to stoma

• 28 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi,

My mum is trying to get use to her stoma bag after having her operation and she’s having lots of pain in her stomach which I have been told could be gas, she has also been having really bad lower back pain which again could be wind but I’m not sure if it could be anything more serious. This is all new to me and my family. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? And also how long does it take to get back some kind of appetite as mum isn’t eating much at the moment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. X 

Kris 

• Back pain will be due to the operation as your bowls are worked on the pressure of the operation and internal work done in that area .( Base of her spine )It will ease up  Ask your GP for pain relief   Best wishes.

.Kissing heartAlaine

• Hi Kriss

That all sounds really positive then! I found my stoma nurse who visited at home was a wealth of advice and useful tips-I was actually sorry when her visits stopped as i learned so much from her. Your mum’s stoma will take some weeks to fully settle down, so she may have to try different bags to find one which works particularly well for her. Again, the stoma nurse will have lots of advice on different products to help with any issues she may have and will be able to give her different ones to try if she needs to.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Alaine,

I did think the back pain could be related to the op but just wasn’t sure, so this is good to know. The hospital did prescribe some pain relief so will continue with this and see how it goes.
    Thanks & best wishes to you too.

Kris x

• Thanks Sarah, the nurse is visiting tomorrow so will take the opportunity to ask her lots. 
    she currently has two types of bags, hopefully they may have others mum can try out. 

Kris x 

• Definitely get her advice and ask lots of questions. It’s quite difficult when you first have the stoma to know which bag is best, and there can be a lot of trial and error. My advice would be if something works, stick with it!

We are all so different in terms of body shape and lumps and bumps in the tummy area with folds and creases which can affect how well the bag sticks to the skin. And the size of the stoma changes as it settles and the body recovers, so there are several factors to take into account. Your mum sounds like she is doing well considering she is so soon after surgery. 

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• This is so true about body shapes. At the moment we are using the previous bag stencil to create a circle size to cut out for the new bag as was also told the size of stoma will get smaller.

Mum has her good and bad days/nights. It has only been 2 weeks since surgery and it was a major op she underwent so I know it’s going to take time for her to feel more comfortable in regards to everything mentally and physically.
    And then she still has the next stage which is chemo to have to cope with. I just hope by the time she starts chemo she isn’t still in lots of discomfort from the Op & Stoma. But hopefully they can let us know next week at her follow up appt when this will commence. 

Kris x 

• Hello again Chris

Five weeks after my operation, I am on my third style of bag and finally beginning to feel more comfortable with the whole business. It really does seem to be a question of trial and error, so keep persisting if your Mum doesn't get on with the first type(s) of bag she was given.

Have you tried the Colostomy UK website? It has lots of advice on different issues like diet, wind and constipation to complement the advice on the Macmillan site.

Limassol 

• Hi Limassol,

Thanks for this. The stoma nurse should be visiting next week now so will ask about different bags to try. 
    I haven’t checked out this website but I will do. The last couple of nights have been bad with the trapped wind so will see what else may help.

Thanks again for the advice. x 

Kris :) 

• Hi Kris,

I hope your mum is getting used to her stoma, as your message is old but I just saw it .

I have had a stoma since March 2021, it took me a long time to get used to it. The lack of appetite will slowly disappear, it's also due to the anaesthetics, as for the stomach pains, I was told to drink a lot and at the beginning avoid all the "gassy " foods, green beans, onion, mushrooms etc... I can assure you, it is not forever: I have been eating anything since, no restricted diet at all and no more issue. As for the back pains it may well have been due to the bloating ... 

I really hope your mum is better now, it does take a long time but we get so used to it that we intend to forget we have a stoma. Stay positive around your mum, she needs your support, she will know if you are worried, that does not help: look forward.

I have colon cancer, will be operated on next week, 2 months after the stoma operation, I had sepsis and stayed in hospital for a month, having to interrupt the treatment. During that time the cancer spread ... I had intensive chemo and radiation in October 2021.and still big issues with my septic knee. But I owe my fighting spirit to my daughters' support and my friends'  positivity.

So please do not worry and although it is hard, keep smiling in front of your mum,

Good luck and best wishes to your mum.

Bri26

• Hi Bri26

Thanks for responding on my post. Mum is kind of getting used to her stoma but is still suffering sometimes with trapped wind. She has to walk a lot to release this. Mum has got her appetite now but she has to be so careful with what she eats and all the things she likes/wants are a no go with the stoma. 
    i think her back pains might be post op pains as she had a full hysterectomy and all visible cancer removed from different places. 

I am glad to hear you have no more issues with your stoma and are able to eat properly. 
    my siblings and myself do our best to stay positive around mum as we don’t wanna worry her & it’s so important she keeps a positive mind. It is hard at times seeing her in so much pain and discomfort but we just keep reminding her that things will get better and easier. 

I hope your operation goes wellPray tone3 , you are very strong and positive considering what you’ve been through. Stay positive, you sound like you have a good support network too and this always helps. 

My mum had first chemo cycle yesterday, she is dreading what side effects are going to suddenly kick in, I think this is making her anxious. But so far so good.

Thank you and all the best to you too, I hope they do all they can to make you fully better.

Kris x