Ileostomy and Anal Discharge

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi,

I wonder if anyone who has has an ileostomy and loop stoma also experiences pain and discharge from the anus? My operation was eighteen months ago, aprox, but the colon has not healed yet, so a reversal is not possible yet. Although the colon (large intestine) is not functioning I get a reddish fluid escaping from the anus and this burns inside until it is released. I've no idea what this is, why it hurts, and how I can ease the pain it causes.

Another question I have regards the stoma, which is working properly. As well as the top opening that excretes the waste into a pouch, it has a second hole at its base where it meets the skin. The problem is I cannot see this second hole when I change the pouch as it is below me and hidden from sight. I don't know why there is the extra hole or if it has some function, but if I perchance cover it with the pouch then it leaks under the seal. I don't understand why or how it is able to leak the waste that should come out of the top hole.

I'm perplexed. Can anyone help me understand these two happenings?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

i have a discharge. it is caused by an abscess. been drained once already, back for a CT tomorrow. wait to see what they come up with.

the additional hole is possibly a fissure you need to get this checked out by your stoma nurse, it can be put right.

the other possibility is a prolapse, which i have also experienced. the end looks like it has a hole but it hasn't and the hole that should be the end is the one at the bottom, has your stoma increased in size?

• Royston you have two hole because you have what is known as a loop ileostomy and the top round hole is for poop Poop and the bottom hole is more likely a rough hole which is bought out fro you bowel to make the loop and produces mucus mostly, but can also poop Poop too. I have the same ileostomy and so long as both holes are in side the circle O️ of you bag they should not leak… this type of ileostomy is done so surgeons can reverse it if need be.. hope the help Blush