Coping every day as a carer

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

My partner was diagnosed with advanced aggressive prostate cancer that has spread to the bones and lymph nodes.  He is just 58 years old.  He started the hormone injections 2 months ago and last week started chemo plus Filgrastim injections for a week, steroids, another hormone tablet plus other vitamin tablets.  This is a man who wouldn't take a paracetamol!  He can't sleep at night and his body aches all over and he is fatigued.  I know this is part of the treatment, but it is hard to see someone you care for so much go through this.  I am also tired and get grumpy on a daily basis and realise it is wrong, but there are days when I just can't help it.  I am a fairly organised, happy person, but feel so low.  I do not want to go to the GP as they will prescribe me antidepressants and I do not want to start down this road.  I do everything and have no problem with this.  Does anyone else feel the same?

• Hi  and I see it’s your first post on the community so a very warm welcome to the Macmillan Community but sorry to hear about your partner abd the challenges your are dealing with.

I am the one with cancer so I am on the other side of the equation but let’s see if any caregivers are looking in.

This part of the community is very general but there are other dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) where you will get very specific help so first so can I recommend you join and post in our……

Prostate cancer

……. support group. This group is a safe places to talk to others who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions but also to get support from family members who are navigating the same support journey.

As for the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your partner and indeed yourself you may benefit from joining and posting in our……

Carers only

……. support group where you will connect with a wide range of members navigating the exact same support challenges.

To connect with a group click on the “Bold Italic Links” I have created above …… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [ + Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into both groups.

It is an emotional time supporting family so you might find this Macmillan information your feelings when someone has cancer helpful as well as this link getting help with your emotions.

The Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge