Not ready to deal with this again!!

• 5 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi all,

I think I'm just looking for some support from people who know how it feels.

Quick background, I was diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer 9 months ago.  I had surgery which got everything and then had radiotherapy to prevent a recurrence.  

I had fantastic support on the forum and after treatment was completed I was very happy to have beaten the big C.  I've been screened for lung cancer and bowel cancer since and everything is good. I am looking forward to my first 3 month check after treatment ended.

Until 2 days ago.  I had my routine breast cancer screening on 15/01, the results usually arrive within 2 weeks and I have no reason to expect anything but good news.  However on the 19/01 I received a letter asking me to attend a hospital appointment on 26/01 as I needed to have further tests done.  They have seen something on the mammogram that needs looking at again.  I'm also convincing myself it's bad because they have acted so quickly.

I  am hoping that after tests they say everything is ok, but all I can think now is I beat one cancer to now have another.  I was so positive and up for the fight last year, but now my emotions are up and down from one hour to the next.  Each time it pops into my head I just start crying.

I hope I am worrying about nothing.

Thanks for listening xxx.

Jules

• Hi Jules  and sorry to read your post and let's look that this is a false alarm.

I have been on my incurable blood cancer (a very rare type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma) journey for over 24 years now and have had multiple relapses requiring various levels of treatment.......... but I have also been tested for a number of suspected 'other' cancers....... they all turned out not to be cancer...... but I am always pleased that the NHS does it's thing and keeps an eye on me.

I developed the simple mind set that until I was actually told there was a problem....... then there was not.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• HI Mike,

Thank you for your wise words.  I was feeling sorry for myself last weekend and needed some perspective.  You are of course completely correct.  I chatted with a friend earlier in the week who said the same thing.  It is likely nothing to worry about but we should be glad these things are checked out.

I had my appointment yesterday which was very thorough and included a biopsy being taken.  I feel much more positive after speaking with the doctor.  I like to understand exactly what is going on so I don't rush to worst case scenario. 

They have found something which I was able to see on the ultrasound, but assure me it is very small and I would not have detected it yet on my own.  I have an appointment for Friday to hear the results of the biopsy and will spend the time until then feeling positive that all will be clear. 

I did have a read through your story and wow, you have been through a lot.  It takes someone very special to help lift other people whilst fighting their own incredibly tough battle.  Thank you for taking the time to spur me on.

In the words of the immortals "there can be only one".

Julie

• Hi again  and sorry for the delay getting back to you - we have been away to a family event.

Although not good the ‘something’ has been found but good that it has been found if you know what I mean…… let’s look for a simple fix and fir you to get back to living your life.

My story is only one persons journey of what the body and mind can do to overcome the challenges of having and living with cancer.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Well, today did not go as i had hoped.  Unfortunately it was confirmed that I now have breast cancer.  This probably could not have been detected any earlier thanks to a routine mammogram.  I have a treatment plan firmly in place and I am going to beat this.  

• Hi  sorry to hear this but keep focused on beating this challenge as well.

I see that you have joined our Breast cancer support group. You will find lots of support in that group.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge