Travel insurance

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

How difficult has it been to get travel insurance if you have a terminal diagnosis?

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Unfortunately it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have cancer and a terminal diagnosis can make that harder still. I hope I don't sound insensitive but is your diagnosis terminal, eg. there are no more options or treatments available, or are you incurable, eg. there are still treatments such as chemo, radiotherapy, etc? This is an important distinction to make as it will affect the cost and ability to get insurance. If you are classed as terminal then check with each provider that you ring what they class as terminal because some class it as having less that 6 months to live whilst others will say that it's less than 12 months to live.

As the community is divided up into groups I'm going to recommend that you join the travel insurance group where you can see  recommendations from others who have found reasonably priced travel insurance.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

Once you've joined the travel insurance group, look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance', which is always on the first page of the discussions list, as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. 

It's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

Also make sure you have all the information to hand about your diagnosis and treatment before contacting the insurers. This is a list of things an insurance provider might want to know when you're applying for insurance. Some providers might ask for a letter from your doctor saying that you are well enough to travel. This could come from your cancer team or from your GP and it might save time if you get the letter before contacting insurance providers.

It would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

If you have any difficulty navigating the community just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"