refusing chemo and taking natural alternative supplements

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has refused chemo and explored any other natural meds?

In an ideal world i really do not want to go ahead with the chemo for several diff reasons (coronavirus and the long term side effects). I am currently taking some herbal supplements, along with a immune system booster called Biobran which has numerous testimonies in helping reduce cancer tumours without needing chemo. 

I was wondering if anyone here has refused chemo and tried alternative natural medicines to treat their cancer? if so, has it worked for you? 

I am due to start chemo this week and am really doubting if i should go ahead with it. Part of me wants to continue with my current medication and get a scan done in 4 weeks to see if they are working. Any help/advice would be great xx

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with cancer and it's natural to want to explore ways in which you could be cured.

Macmillan has this information on alternative therapies. You will see that they have stated that "no alternative therapies have ever been proven to cure cancer or slow its growth".

I see that you are also taking herb supplements and Biobran. Unfortunately there is no medical evidence to show that herb therapies have any effect on cancer although some can be helpful with certain side effects.

You might want to look at this information from Cancer Research about Biobran which says, amongst other things, that there is not enough reliable evidence to show that it is a treatment for cancer. They also say that you should talk to your doctor before taking it and you should not take it if you are taking any medication that lowers your immune system.

It is also very important to tell your doctor if you are taking any form of supplements while you're being treated for cancer because some can interfere with cancer treatments by making them more toxic or less effective.

I'm sorry that all this information is probably not what you want to hear Disappointed

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Wishing you all the best with whatever you decide to do

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi , I see that you have put up a few questions in different groups but this one rang a bell with me.

My cancer is a Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma - it's a long story and if you want hit my name to see it.

I have had about 800 hrs of chemo plus a few other treatments. I remember a good Pharmacist friend visiting me in the ward during my very first treatment and she looked at the chemo bags and said "I made these bags up for you this afternoon, you know I use a spacial cubical that filters all the air away from me and I use these special gloves to reach inside to make everything up....... then a few hours later your nurse connects the Educated Bleach up to your line and pumps it into your blood!!!....... it's rather amazing stuff and does exactly what is says it can do"

I never had any issues during my main chemo, no sickness.....and yes it did exactly what she said it would do.

I then had to go onto have two Stem Cell Transplants (SCT) as my condition could not be put in remission, yes the SCTs were VERY hard work and the chemo for the second was very bad........  but that was 4 1/2 years ago and I now am in remission from a condition that in 1999 I was told was incurable and I would never see remission.

I was talking with a mum on the Community just before Christmas and her son was refusing chemo as he thought the natural meds would do the job..... eventually, as he was being prepared for palliative care he changed his mind and went for the chemo.

I just heard fro m his mum last week that he is now in remission NED (no evident disease)

I think you do need to have an honest talk with your team and understand completely what having the chemo treatment would be like and also what life would be like without the treatment.

All the very best in what ever journey you go on.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge