Feeling lost and with a angry mum with cancer

• 2 replies
  • 22 subscribers

My mum just been diagnosed with cancer again and I’m feeling so alone and lost. My mum had cancer when I was 18 and now I’m 21. I have hit a point in my life where I’m feeling low again and I hate this feeling. 

everything I do to support her just get throw back in my face. I understand that she’s angry and stressed but I just want to help her. How to I express this too her ? Just don’t want to make it worse. 

Being 21 and no friends isnt helping I feel like I have no escape for being at home and no way to just be myself 

I hope this makes sense, just it’s hard to put to words 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about what you and your mum are going through. Often the first thing we need to work out is how we feel and I find quite a lot of really good advice in your emotions when someone has cance

It may be useful to look at what your mum needs. It might be worth considering a needs assessment as then an independent view of what your mother is entitled to.

What some patients say is that they just want to be treated normally.

if it helps please do feel free to ring the helpline, it is open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Cookie325,

Just wanted to say I know exactly what you mean. My husband is exactly the same and it’s hurtful. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions and I feel like it’s a jakyl and hide scenario.

I work from home and feel isolated too. I’m going to the hospital with him today and we will try to speak to the amazing MacMillan team there.

I think we have to appreciate that they as the patient have a lot of emotions and feelings to process but at the same time we almost have to guard ourselves and remember that it’s tough on us too and they are not the only ones going through this.

I’m sure your mum does appreciate everything you are doing but as I say I think emotions take over and although they don’t mean to, they take it out on those closest to them.

Is there an option to go with your Mum to see the GP or hospital appointment where you can discuss her mood? 
    Or reach out to MacMillan to talk it through?

Just know that you are not alone and you are amazing for everything you are doing Green heart