How to support my family

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

My Son in Law was diagnosed with esophageal and liver cancer may 2023. He is on a second course of treatment every three weeks. It's not to cure but to hopefully stop developments. I help with childcare when he's in hospital but at a loss how to support them.My daughter tells me how frustrating she finds him because he tries to keep quiet about how ill he feels(nauseous , dry mouth,) but then shouts at her and the children if they are too noisy . He has energy to go for a walk but not to help around the house. When he does mention how he feels to the cancer nurse , the suggest a medication to help the symptoms to then its such a struggle to obtain a prescription from the gp. I could go on but there is so much I don't know what to do. 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about what you are going through it does sound really difficult.

I wonder iif our nurse on here might be able to offer suggestions around the issue with the GP, you could try asking that on Ask a Nurse and see if they have any suggestions. 

We do have a guide on here supporting someone with cancer and some of the bits in their might be helpful for both you and your daughter.

How are you too? We often describe a cancer diagnosis as a tsunami that reaches out to grab us all.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge