Mum with Stage 4 Lung Cancer

• 3 replies
  • 33 subscribers

My mum was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and is currently undergoing treatment. She's been given an average of 3 years left but we're trying to be hopeful that it will be more than that.

I'm still just struggling to comprehend the situation and don't want to get upset in front of her. It's so hard to carry on every day life. Does anyone have any advice? 

• Hi! I’m completely new here but your post has resonated with me so much.

My Dad has recently been diagnosed with kidney cancer which has spread to other parts of his body. 

I feel so much the same. I actually feel pain from the ache of how broken I am and I have no idea how to carry on everyday life. I try to keep everything positive in front of my dad during visits at the hospital but at home I feel so at a loss. Have u taken time off work? I have been given a month off via doctor which is helping me to process the information and spend my time with my Dad. 

Sending love and best wishes to your family and you

• I'm feeling exactly the same - I can't comprehend or cope!  It's all happened to my dad within 6 weeks.  My anxiety is off the scale and I'm losing weight and not sleeping.  My doctor won't prescribe anything to help with my anxiety and has only increased my antidepressants which has done nothing yet. The pain is visceral - I've taken time off work sick and I've moved in with mum and dad but nothing is helping x

• Hi Cherry, 

It's a really tough place to be in. My dad has recently been diagnosed too. I know I need to stay strong for my mum especially, so I've been allowing myself time to let it out on walks. I'll go on a walk and just allow my thoughts and emotions time to run. It helps me to then be in a slightly more regulated place when I need to deal with family. 

At the same time, maybe your mum will find solidarity in being upset with you?

It is really difficult to carry on in everyday life when it feels like everything is crumbling. Be gentle with yourself and if it's too much to do everything, just pick one thing. Remember: tough times don't last, but tough people do.