Dad has cancer but lives abroad

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

Hi, my Dad was diagnosed last year, had surgery and chemo that went really well but just when we thought we were about to get the all clear its came back. He lives abroad, we live in the UK. I obviously want to call him every day and ask how he is but dont because that would be annoying and not do anyone any good. Hes not a talker but we have talked about it. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what to say to him. Subtly, preferably. It would be good to know/hear from any survivors on what you/the person wants or needs to here in this situation, if anything at all. Thanks in advance 

Rob 

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your dad, it must be hard with him living abroad and of course a lot of information we have here is UK/NHS focussed.

I get when you say about him not being a great talker, my dad was just the same and never one to talk much about his health either often thinking he might be protecting us. One thing that might help him is our guide on talking about cancer.and it might be helpful to look at our group Living with cancer outside the UK forum 

My wife was diagnosed over 10 years ago, her cancer is incurable but with treatment we seem to have put it to sleep and so now in the happy state of living with cancer - took a lot of help for us to feel comfortable with that but as they say life goes on.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge