How do I support my dad after his diagnosis?

• 2 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Evening everyone,

Well I never thought I would be online looking for advice on how best to support my dad who has recently been diagnosed with Colon Cancer. 

I feel lost and don’t know what I can do to best support him as I’m worried that I say or do the wrong thing, or possibly over step the mark. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• Hi, I’m really sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis. Just listen. Don’t try and find good news stories, don’t tell him it’ll all be fine and lots of people beat cancer these days, don’t try and make decisions for him and don’t tell him to be strong. Ask how he is, sympathise, agree it’s crap when it’s crap and still let him be your dad, still tell him your problems and just try your hardest to support him when he needs you. That’s all you can do. And make sure you have a good support network too, speak to MacMillan and get support and maybe consider a counsellor. All the very best of luck to you x 

• My mums just starting chemo, same thing, had an op before Christmas. She recovered really well from op but I’ve just tried to be positive (i know it is hard to keep our emotions in check) and I’ve helped when I can around the house. 
    Everytime they’ve updated her with something knew it’s hit hard in my heart but then you start to get your head around it. I’ve found talking to my partner and friends has helped me stronger around her. Sending you strength at a tricky time.