Dad's cancer journey...part 1

• 1 reply
  • 27 subscribers

Hi all, I'm so relieved I found this forum as it can be immensely cathartic to share stories of our experiences. My Dad was diagnosed a few weeks ago with stage 4 metastatic bowel cancer - it has spread to his lung and liver now so is inoperable. He has decided to go ahead with chemo (Capox) which starts tomorrow and will continue for 8 cycles. We were in shock when told that worse case scenario he has 2 years, best case 5 - or more depending on how he responds. Dad was in such good health prior to the diagnosis; life is so cruel. However now we have had time to process all the information given to us, we are trying to be as optimistic as possible - we have to be for Dad's sake. I would like to find out if any of us here has a friend or family member who is trying, or has tried, eating garlic regularly - there is some evidence that a compound in garlic can inhibit the growth of some cancer cells. Dad's weight was decreasing rapidly in between him being diagnosed and his initial assessment ( a period of about 3 weeks ), falling to about 10 stone 12 with clothes on. We had never seen him looking so thin. Miraculously, his weight has now increased to 11st 4. Could this be down to the garlic working some magic? Now I understand that garlic alone won't halt the cancer in its tracks but he said he is definitely feeling slightly better in himself and finding bowel movements easier -  this is great news in anticipation of his first chemo session tomorrow, as the consultant said that he thinks Dad will respond quite well. 

Here's a couple of links to recent research, if anyone wants to look it up themselves: 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1043661822000639#:~:text=Allicin%20demonstrated%20an%20antitumor%20activity,%5D%2C%20and%20bladder%20cancer%20%5B17

and

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10067574/

Any thoughts on natural remedies? I'll reiterate I know they are not 'cures' by any means - and I am not a doctor - but surely in combination with the usual treatments it could definitely have an impact on the prognosis of some patients?

I'll post again to update after his first session.

Thanks for listening :)

• Hello SteffyWeffy and welcome to the forum though sorry you have to be here and to hear about your dads diagnosis, i also have bowel cancer and am stage 4, I heard of garlics anti cancer properties many years ago and think the link has been proven with certain cancers, bowel being one of them. I am a year on from your dad an a couple of things that help me are a cup of molasses every other day, it soothes your bowels and helps you sleep and seeds and nuts especially walnuts as they boost your immune system. I try to avoid processed foods especially artificial sweetners as they do NOT help your body fight cancer, Best wishes with chmotherapy, take care.

Eddie