Radiotherapy - What to expect?

• 2 replies
  • 29 subscribers

My dad has just started Radiotherapy this week, started yesterday. It's something we haven't experienced yet and is one of his last treatment options,
He's been on chemo for almost two years now, it worked to begin with but now it's not being affective at all. 
What will i expect? Chemo was already hard, will this be harder? Is it worse for your body than chemo? I just want to hear everyone's thoughts so I can prepare myself for what's happening. 

Feel free to share your experiences and everything related please and don't beat around the bush! I want to have full understanding of what might happen.
Thank you all. 

• Hello Molly123, from personal experience i had 70 gy in 20 fractions "days", which is a very high dose with no obvious side effects other than hair loss where the RT was focused, i was also having HT and felt fatigued but as it is a very common side effect of HT I assumed it was that. though i know some people do get skin problems, but keep the radiographers updated with any issues you may have and they will help, take care.

Eddie

• My Dad had 20 rounds of radiotherapy for lung cancer and one Zap to his brain after a couple of small lesions spread.Week 4 after treatment and the not eating is very severe, firstly constipation, then pain in his lungs which has subsided but now very bad pain in his head.He is Stubborn and won't drink the complan prescribed, sleeping alot, salivating from the morphine and no energy very lethargic, having to pull himself up the stairs.