Husbands depression

• 2 replies
  • 31 subscribers

I’m not sure where to put this post, I don’t really want to put into the AML blood cancer forum as don’t want to scare anyone newly going into treatment… To sum things up without writing pages, my husband had luekimia with stemcell transplant, he had harsh treatments, we are 3.5 yrs past it all now 100% donor cells, yet he fails to accept what he’s been through, cannot get over it, depressed, a changed man etc he does live with after effects, feeling sick a lot of the time loss of appetite is still with him … he has had every possible bit of help from hospital team, family, CBT, PTSD, I can offer no more advice as exhausted with him not taking up any suggestions or positive talk. I would so love to hear from someone who has been in this mental state and come through it… he sleeps most days, now and again he does try and push to do things  but just relapses back. He wakes at night with anxieties and throughout the day it comes on strongly, he is on all sorts of medication, anti depressants, anxiety tablets, yet still it’s there, he says’ please someone help’ I want to scream at him, we’ve ALL helped you, it has to come from YOU. I reach out all the time to get help, he would never come on here and do a post, it’s like I am responsible and if I don’t go down every avenue, it’s on my shoulders if something was to happen to him…, it’s as though he takes no responsibility for himself, we were like that before a bit,,but cancer has made things so much worse 

• Hi Leedee, so sorry to hear what you are going through. I have had too many similar days with my husband, he was given a lovely recliner after major leg surgery and just lays down and pulls a big fleece blanket over himself, sometimes even over his face. He can be there all day, I do all the meals and laundry and then he moans that the still-packed boxes from a difficult move 5 years ago are not getting sorted.

It's really important to get support for yourself, have you signed up with your local county/area Carers' Association? Some have specific groups for mental health carers but probably pretty supportive of what you're going through in any group.

Also unfortunately most NHS doctors do not yet have any awareness of a problem in treating 7 in every 100 people, it might be your husband is one of them. This is a genetic problem in making necessary liver enzymes [CYP2D6 for instance]. The result is being partly or completely able to process many common meds including anti depressants. Not only do they simply not work in these people, they cause side effects that can be unusually bad due to the unprocessed drugs swilling round the body and brain.

Talk more sometime maybe.

Denby

• Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, it’s late and I’m going off to bed now, but notice you did a friend request, I will accept that now and hope to write back real soon. Thanks  again