My dad got diagnosed with kidney cancer (treatable they say) looking for advice about it

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

So my dad only two weeks ago got diagnosed with kidney cancer he had his operation recently and had to remove the whole kidney because it was in the fat. They say it was very successful and waiting for pathology results.

I almost feel bad for coming on here because I feel my emotions aren’t as valid as other people who have been told there dads cancers terminal. 

Im an adult btw. But basically I feel sad , angry ect all the emotions because I don’t know if now that means I have to treat him differently. I don’t no if i will end up worry about him or the cancer. And then i worried about myself getting something genetic as alot of his siblings have all different cancers.

Just looking advice of others than gone/ going through this early stage of finding all this out , is this normal reactions ?

Do you find that your siblings react differently? Do you find you dad doesn’t say the ‘c’ word as in never calls it cancer.

• Hi @nemo54321 and welcome to the community, though sorry to hear about your dad.

There is a lot of information on Kidney cancer on the main site here and of course you would be welcome in our Kidney cancer forum if you had any specific questions.

The main part of your message though seems to be about your emotions, they sound really familiar to me and probably most people on here. I ended up doing a living with less stress course that was really helpful to me, You might find some useful tips in Your feelings when someone has cancer.

I know some people give their cancer a pet name as a way of dealing with their emotions. Sometimes we see people who do not want anyone to know about their cancer because they feel like if might define them or change the way they get treated. I have often seen people giving pity when I talk about cancer but that is often the last thing I really need.

It might also help to look at Talking about cancer as that might help you reflect on how you and your dad feel.

In closing I would like to thank you for posting though. Many people feel there are others worse off than them but if we pull together as a team we can all help each others.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge