Helpless

• 1 reply
  • 31 subscribers

My husband has been diagnosed with seminoma mediastinal. There is a large mass attached to the outer lining of his heart. Chemo started 2 days ago and will continue for 12 weeks. As many of you have already said the news has been devastating. He had another CT scan yesterday and they have found a shadow on one of his testis. Personally I'm just trying to absorb the information, the immediate issue which in the scale of things seems minor but is having a real effect on him is administrating the chemo and taking bloods, he was never good with needles before this nightmare started but he has an added problem that they can never seem to find a vein, he's been poked, stabbed relentlessly, to top it off I gave him hope that he would be able to have a picc line for his next cycle which would make it easier, but he's been told this won't be possible due to the risk factors linked to the mass and his heart. This journey is soo hard, he just needed a break with this one thing. Everyday that goes by I loose a little bit more of him. He repeatedly tells me I'm just so tired. The covid situation has meant he has had to deal with everything on his own with me on a mobile trying to listen to what's being explained to him. I'm scared that it's all going to be too much we are approaching day 3 of cycle 1 I'm struggling to see how he'll make it to cycle 4

• Hello Summababy75

Thank you for sharing the journey that you and your husband are on, you are very welcome here.

I am sorry to read of your husbands diagnosis, further impacted by the knowledge that a picc line is not going to be possible to enable him to have the treatment administered in an easier way. Having a fear of needles is a very difficult thing to overcome and as you have mentioned he regularly has negative experiences whenever he has to have bloods taken or chemo administered. It must be so very tough for him indeed. Disappointed

I am not sure if you have already found the Testicular Cancer Forum there may be others here who have experienced similar issues, but certainly there is a wealth of experience of the diagnosis that your husband has.  

I am saddened to read that every day you feel that you are losing a little bit more of your husband, this is something that many of us have to acknowledge and it is a struggle to stay positive. I fully empathise with the difficulties you experience of not being able to attend appointments and treatments, my husband was on his own when he received his diagnosis and has been alone on all treatments since. I have been lucky to be involved in some of the phone consultations, but I still have so many of my own questions.

I hope that something else can be considered, to enable the treatment your husbands receiving to be administered more successfully, and that the chemo has a positive effect.

Thinking of you both and sending best wishes

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!