Keeping Sane

• 26 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everyone -  This is what I do during the day to keep my mind occupied and off my condition.  Sewing and bag making has always been a passion of mine and since I retired I have been doing more especially making handbags of all sorts for friends and some selling too!  After my stomach removal last year I just lost my enthusiasm for crafting and didn't want to do anything.  However low and behold it came back as I started to improve and get used to having a tube in my tummy for feeding (hated it at first) I also have an illeostomy so am used to that and living with a stoma but found it hard to get my head around this .  But I am back to my old self and started getting into making bags again and now find it helps me as I have just been diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer in two places and been told I have 9 months left or I can have my oesophagus removed (40% chance of success) and would have another stoma on my neck. (I have no spare bowel left to use in replacement of the oesophagus hence the neck stoma!  It has been hard since this diagnosis trying to decide what to do and the fear of the unknown and dying.  I am going to see an oncologist where hopefully I will get more information to help me decide, but I am so glad I have got back into my crafting as it really does help in keeping my mind from going into over drive!!  These are a few of my bags that I make.

• Hi  

I'm sorry to hear of all that's been happening with your health. It must be hard to deal with. I don't have the same cancer as you but wanted to show my support. Your bags are really lovely. I like stitching myself but mine is cross stitch and embroidery. I know what you mean about it giving us a focus and taking us away. I like to think of it as a form of mindfulness. I hope your appointment with the oncologist helps with your difficult decision. 

Keep sewing Katie,

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Well Katiecrunch

You have put me to shame. Honestly your bags are gorgeous and to create despite your diagnosis is amazing 

I haven’t touched a paintbrush in three years. My brushes are dusty and a pencil sketch waits for colour. I just keep that door shut 

I enjoyed being part of an art club twice a week which enthused me to produce. Since Covid and lock down my treatment and my hubbys diagnosis I’ve stopped 

shame on me 

keep inspiring us. 

Happy sewing xxxx

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Katiecrunch,Your bags are lovely,you are talented.During recovery from having my bladder removed I drew and painted.The main thing that helps to keep me occupied is genealogy.My partner John inherited a rare muscle disease so I have found that he is related to another family with the same condition.They share the same gt x4 grandparents who came from a tiny village in Oxfordshire.I find it all fascinating and if you get stuck on one branch you can work on another.Love and best wishes Jane xx

• That’s fascinating 

I learned something about genes the other day. A friends son is very poorly sighted he has had every test available.
    He’s affected in a few ways it’s not just sight 

Well they traced back both parents line and have found that the mother and fathers great great grandparents one of each were born albino. 
    The little chap only has a few characteristics of the condition his eyes are not pink but because it was in both parents line he’s been affected 

His brother is fine 

Its almost a role of the dice isn’t it? 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Ann,That is interesting.John’s condition Central core myopathy was only named in the 1950’s.We knew it went back to the 1880’s in his family as his grandmother and some of her siblings had it.Of course they didn’t know what it was just that it was something that made them weak.It wasn’t spoken about in the family.Having found the connection between John and another family with it I think it must go back to the 1820’s at least.There appears to be a link with having twins in these families.I’ve spent 20 years researching and I’m still as fascinated as when I began.I’ve had to buy a few death certificates etc but having a subscription to a big genealogy site has helped a lot.I read an article about a medical genealogist who was tracing a rare variant of Parkinson’s disease.One day she got talking to a patient who shared the same surname as another she knew.She asked if they were related and they said not.However this lady did some detective work and discovered that they did share a common ancestor way back.That is what got me thinking about John and his disease and that is how I started all the research.Love Jane x

• Love your bags, it does take a while for the positive spirit to return. Glad you found your way back to being creative. Xx

• Thank you so much Sabrina - I'm still making bags and have now decided to go for the operation as it really is my only option to live longer, so chemo starts next week for 8 weeks then my operation in July which is scary but just trying to stay positive at the moment.  What stage are you at with your journey? xx

• I had surgery on 6th Dec wide excision lumpectomy and total node removal. Radiotherapy in Feb and now hormone blockers for 5 yrs. I hope it's gone but you never know 100%. The sample they tested said I wouldn't benefit from chemo. You are amazing, being strong is all we can do  sometime. Life becomes more precious when faced with this. Xx

• You are so right we never know 100% and life does indeed become more precious when this happens so you stay strong and positive and live your life every day which is what I am doing.  We are warriors.... xx

• When the body gets weak the brain sometimes gets to work. Working this out and using the time and energy to help myself and my family.   

It takes a lifetime to understand things sometimes. Purple heart