Gardening as therapy for terminal prognosis.

• 21 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi everyone.

Apart from enjoying writing poetry, I love my garden, though I'm no expert. I like to get out on my small plot while I am still fit enough as my cervical cancer is now incurable. I am 80 so have slowed down a bit regardless of the cancer, but still fit enough to plant things and do a bit of weeding and hopefully mow the grass on a good day.

My garden was very neglected last year due to having numerous scans and tests at my local hospital to be diagnosed and then having chemo and radiotherapy for 5 weeks at Addenbrookes, plus brachytherapy which meant a short stay in hospital there..I had unpleasant side effects from the latter so could hardly leave my bungalow as needed the loo urgently every few minutes which was exhausting. I am just starting to get my enthusiasm back despite the terminal prognosis. I enjoy sitting outside when it's not too hot, listening to the birds singing, after an hour or two of light gardening. I find it very therapeutic, always have, but even more so now.

I've recently planted up a little 'hot' bed with colourful helenium, echinacea and coreopsis plus some contrasting blue ground cover campanulas.

Another trip to the nursery for some grasses to fill some more gaps  methinks!.

• Well done Nan. It is vital to slow down and keeping yourself busy tho careful and enjoing every moment. The gardening is my hobby too. Even when I was too tired to work, then coming in the garden to watch and listen to the bugs, butterfies, birds was a bit of joy. The garden used to also bring the memories of my beloved nan. I almost felt her soul next to mine when being around of flowers. She used to have pansies on her windowsill.

I send you a love and hug saying you are not alone Heartbeat

Tiga. 
  • [deleted]
    Tiga. 
  • Hi Nan & Tiga,I love gardening and nature too.This is a photo of my garden from 2017,an area near the end of it.It’s long and terraced.Love Jane x

• Thanks Tiga. My dad was a keen gardener. I just wish I'd had the enthusiasm in my younger days as could have learned so much from him, though saying that, I did have a little patch of my own as a child and grew a few pansies, nasturtiums and night scented stock. Happy days x

• Hi Jane. Love your photo. Are they Aquilegias in the pic?

• Thanks Nan3942,Yes there are,they were here when we moved in back in 1998.I’ll be moving soon so I’m hoping to have a smaller garden.It’s got too much for me since cancer.Looking at properties on line a lot of the gardens are paved over and low maintenance.I still want to have shrubs and flowers wherever I end up.I’ll miss it here though.My late mum and I worked hard to create the garden.Love Jane xx

• Good luck with the move Jane. I moved from a house with a massive garden to my housing association bungalow. I'm so glad I did as my partner Paul died 2 years after we moved and no way could I have coped with our pevious garden, or the stairs! I know what you mean about missing a place as we planted loads at the old house including several lovely trees.. I can just about cope with my smaller plot at the moment and love spending time out there..

• Thanks.The garden was really helpful when I was recovering from surgery.It was during the first lockdown and I couldn’t see my partner John or my mum as I had put her into temporary respite care.I couldn’t do any gardening but I could sit out with my little tame robin.I’ll be looking for somewhere flatter if possible as John has a rare muscle disease and it would be lovely if he could enjoy the garden too.I’m up to my eyes in executor stuff at the moment so the garden has been a bit neglected.I’m glad you able to enjoy your garden.They are so good for mental health.Love Jane x

• Thanks Jane. My back garden is on a bit of a slope so I no longer hang my washing out as frightened of slipping on steps up to washing line when carrying it, so use my tumble dryer most of the time. Dread to think what my energy bills will be this winter!..