CT Scanxiety

• 1 reply
  • 13 subscribers

Hi all

I've not posted on here for quite some time. Today was the first time I actually phoned the McMillan support line. I have to say how comforting the experience was.

So the short version….. I was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer in November 2022 T2N1M0, fast forward to now. I had Stoma surgery in January 2023, chemo and radiotherapy in Feb/march 25 sessions. Then in August 2023 Abdominal perineal resection with a permanent colostomy. Three weeks in hospital, then home for recuperating. All lymph nodes removed were cancer free so I had all clear. 
Routine follow up CT scan on the 16th August, waiting for the results has been stressful, I decided “No news, was good news”, Anyway as I am lucky enough to go on a holiday Thursday, I phoned the Colorectal nurses today, not the news I wanted, inflammation identified as a concern on the scan. Now bloods to be done and colonoscopy.

I am emotionally exhausted and not really sleeping. I returned to work full time too in January, which is good for me. However I feel like I’m back in November 2022 all over again. I’m probably overthinking this, and it’s out of my control. 

Any advice as I was so looking forward to my holiday and now I’m awaiting further tests. 

Thanks in advance 

Liz 

• Hi Liz,

Glad to hear you found the support line helpful, I have found them really good in the past - even when sometimes it seems I mostly just cried at them.

CT scans are very good at finding things that look different but rather less good at working out what that actually means. My wife has had enough that she could probably make a movie from them.

I recently joined the club of people who have had a colonoscopy, not a great deal of fun but for me it just confirmed the dirverticula they had seen in the CT scan and showed nothing else of concern. Fingers crossed these further tests are just going to show something of nothing but whatever I am glad you shared on here.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge