I got Diagnosed at a Young Age and i’m confused

• 2 replies
  • 17 subscribers

It had just been my 19th Birthday on the 8th of may, then on the 16th i was given a rapid referral and found out on the 20th I had testicular cancer and was due to have my left testicle removed.

Im in my summer of first year going into second. I have nowhere to direct my anger towards because i can’t blame anyone, and i have this overwhelming feeling of being way too young to have to deal with this. 

I have had the surgery and am in the process of recovery, i will trust the process but i feel lonely in this situation so if anyone could give me any thoughts or advice on how to maybe put my mind at ease or any feelings that would be v useful.

• Hi tom05 and a warm welcome to the forum, It's tough for everyone getting a cancer diagnosis, your thoughts and emotions are all over the place and feeling lonely is not unusual, so well done reaching out for support. You are obviously a smart guy and will know losing one testicle, the other one will produce extra testosterone and sperm to compensate pretty quickly, so physically there should be little if any difference, and you do have the option of having a false testicle implant. but as I said before the emotional side is tough, so understand what you are feeling is perfectly normal, the negative emotions and loneliness will pass, If you need to direct your anger, blow off steam the best thing you can do is exercise it really is a big boost to you emotionally as well as physically and talking to others will really help you too, your Uni should provide support or you could call the Macmillan support line 0800 808 00 00, we have a testicular cancer forum as well, or if you have a Maggie's near you www.maggies.org they are a cancer support charity open 9-5 weekdays, just pop in, no appointment needed. best wishes and have a wonderful life, take care.

Eddie

• Hi  and a second welcome to the Community but sorry to hear about your journey.

Navigating the cancer journey can be such a stressful and challenging time but getting support from people who have walked the ‘exact same' cancer journey can help a lot. (I have a completely different cancer).

As you have seen the Community is actually divided into dedicated Support Groups (Discussion Rooms) so can I recommend you join and post in our dedicated

Testicular cancer

Diagnosed at a young age

support groups. These groups are safe places to talk to others with a similar diagnosis, treatment experience, to ask questions and get support.…… then once the group page opens click in the [Black - Click to Join - Banner] that appears at the bottom of the page and this will then confirm that you have joined the group.

When you are ready……. you can introduce yourself by putting up your very own post by clicking [+ Create new post] or [ + ] in the top right of the group page.

You can copy and paste the text from this post into your new post.

You may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow 3 working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area and as highlighted do check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

Do get back to me if you need further help navigating the community.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge