Health Anxiety - too much going on.

• 7 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hello.

I’m currently being “fast tracked” due to a suspicious patch in my bladder. I’ve suffered with health anxiety most of my life with the last serious experience in 2017 after an unexpected loss of a loved one through cancer. I fear health anxiety has made a return!

This scare has set me back. I’ve thought the worst thoughts about everything and played it over and over in my head. On top of this, I lost my job in May and my pets have both had injuries meaning I’ve not stopped to look after me. My husband is a busy manager at work and I have a teenage daughter. Life is so overwhelming with everything happening at once.

I’m drinking (forcing the water down) but my appetite has gone completely through the worry. 

I'm reaching out to share my feelings in the hope there’s other people who have felt like this with maybe some coping mechanism ideas which they can share with me. 

I’m usually a great organised person so I’m struggling to manage everything with this scare on top. 

• Hi Kittybones

Sorry to hear that you are facing a possible cancer diagnosis.  You could try meditation.  There are a number of free meditation apps that you can download for example Calm Radio.  If you feel up to it why not ring the helpline on 0808 080 00 00 to talk to someone about how you are feeling.  They can arrange some free counselling for you if that's what you'd like.  You could also if you have a Maggie's centre or another cancer centre near you call into them for a chat and they could also arrange counselling for you.

I had counselling as I found myself struggling after I had treatment for breast cancer nearly four years ago and again last year and I found it a help.

Wishing you the best of luck with your results.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you - I’ll try all of those. Battling our own minds is hard. 

• Hi. First of all, you're not alone. My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer, after a turbt and a few c.t. scans, he had a radical cystectomy 6 weeks ago. I found that talking to MacMillan nurses was a great help. My husband listened to music and did meditation. It's a scary time for anyone, and the feeling of being overwhelmed is awful. But please try and stay positive and talk to someone. Don't keep it all in. Tell your husband how anxious you are. Go for a walk. Good luck with your results.

• Thank you for your message. My family know how anxious I am but I still hide it to keep them strong. If they worry about me, I feel guilty. My parents are in their 70s. I’m trying to protect everyone. 

I do have a nurse number I could call but I don’t know what to say. I’m also an emotional person so at the moment I’m bursting into tears. I’m sure it’s just something I’ve got to navigate. 

• Hi Kittybones, my heart goes out to you. I was wondering if you have tried speaking to macmillan , and start by just saying how anxious you feel. See how the conversation goes from there. I do wish you peace of mind. Health anxiety is exhausting and emotional. 

Much love Angela x

• I have called once and said I suffer with health anxiety. They tried to calm me by saying the right things but nothing helps. 

Ive got a dye CT scan later today. My mum is coming with me so I try to be strong for her so she doesn’t worry. It’s a vicious circle.

How are you?

• Hi Kittybones, I am ok today thanks. Like all of us on here I have good days and bad days. I do cling onto the good days when they come. I was very very anxious when I first found out. Everyone said I would feel calmer and more in control one I had a treatment plan. Tbh I didnt believe them, however they were absolutely right. All of the “what ifs” became less. I still get them now and again , but i manage to tell myself, my thoughts are not facts. It helps me, but we all have different stories and needs. I wish you peace of mind kittybones and send you a wrap around hug 

Much love Angela x