Thinking positively-burying he’d in the sand

• 6 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Morning all, 

sorry for the constant questions.

ive gone into a defiant mode that what every I have I will overcome, at the same time I start to think don’t be over confident, I try to forget about what’s happened but feel like I may be in denial. So I’m going from deal with whatever comes my way to it’s not that bad your be fine. Is this normal? 

thank you Nigel

• Hi Nigel,I think this is normal.I know I went  through this when newly diagnosed.One minute I was planning my funeral and next saying I’ll be fine.I’m sure most of us experienced a wide range of emotions at the start.It’s fear of the unknown and this is why you feel better once you know the stage and grade of cancer and what can be done about it.You gain some focus to start dealing with it.These early days most people find are the worst.Keeping busy can help and finding some sort of hobby or interest just to take your mind off things.Love Jane 

• Thank you Jane, I’m off to walk the dog. 

• You know what Rob? My head is all over the place. One moment  I am chatting with family, having a cuppa, talking about the positives of my treatment, then the next moment? I'm in a dark place and wondering what is the point?  We're not going through a small thing and the drugs we have to take just give us a harsh reminder of what's happening. I think it is a protective state we go into, not sure it is denial, more like keeping our head above water, forcing ourselves to look at positives like getting through treatments.  My family and I watched Rhod Gilberts show for stand up to cancer, and at the end of it my mum looked at me and said "you've had it worse than he has", yet I just sat there, shrugged. Everyone deals with this journey in their own way. Some days I am very positive, others not. Don't worry, you're normal.

• Thank you Grogulove. Felling better today

• Hi Nigel  …… I have been following this thread with interest.

I have been on my journey with my rare (7 in a million) incurable but treatable Non Hodgkins Lymphoma for 24+ years…. all the way to stage 4 in late 2013 and back again and one of the many lessons I have learned over my years is encapsulated in this simple thought….

The road we navigate on our cancer journey has two directions to follow. There are two signs along this road one sign is pointing to Pessimism, a mindset that always sees the worst will happen, not appreciating that the many treatments available can do the job in some way or some fashion, where stress and worry controls every aspect of life and as a result the journey is made extremely hard and draining.

The other sign points to Optimism, a mindset that is full of hopefulness, determination, confidence about the future and appreciates that the treatments available can turn or stem the tide….. even in the most challenging storms. It’s important to continually seek to choose the optimistic direction as this simple thing can define how you walk out cancer journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Highlander, I will take that on board