Scared and confused

• 6 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hello all, 

got diagnosed with a 1cm tumour on my bladder yesterday. I feel numb. I can’t eat, I’m so scared. My wife is in bed crying her eyes out. I don’t know what to do..

any help appreciated 

Rob r

• Hi Rob R,This must be a huge shock for you and I’m glad you have joined the bladder group.You will get lots of advice and support to get you through this anxious time.There will be some kind of treatment available and you will feel much better once you get a treatment plan.It’s natural to feel numb and shocked and to not feel like eating.Keep posting and we will all try to support you as much as we can.Best wishes.Jane 

• Hi Rob  sorry to hear this. I have been on my incurable cancer journey for over 24 years now so have navigated all these issues.

You…… and indeed your wife may find it helpful to call the Macmillan Support Line open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support or just a listening ear.

From my long experience ‘talking face to face’ with people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area.

Do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much Mike and Jane, I’m a taxi driver, could only do 3 hours of work today, ming is all over the place. 

• That’s understandable.Try to take it one step at a time.Bladder cancer is treatable and things improve once you know what treatment you will be getting.It all seems scary now but once the diagnosis sinks in you will move forward.Jane 

1. Feeling a bit low now, been happy all day but now worried if they find more in my body. I’m an emotional wreck… is this normal to think the worst.
  • Hi Rob,I know I went through all the emotions at the start.It will get easier even if it does not feel like it at the moment.Knowing what you are dealing with once all the tests are done and the results are back helps.Once you know what treatment you are having you have something to focus on and most people find this better for emotional and mental health.Best wishes to you and to your wife.It is hard for loved ones but they can be a great support once they get over the shock.Jane