Trying to keep it together for dad

• 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Oh my god I don't know how much more I can take... My dad has been fighting cancer since Feb this year. As stated on other posts, it's spread all over now. It's gone from lung to brain, bones, kidneys and just yesterday they've found another brain tumor. He is currently in hospital because of double vision. Basically he's lost movement in his left eye completely, it is absolutely heartbreaking to witness. I took him out for some fresh air on my visit today and he broke down on me 3 times in absolute bits. Sobbing on my shoulder saying he doesn't want to die and he can't bare another brain opp. What on earth do I say to that, I didn't know what to say and I broke down too. It's literally been one thing after another, relentless none stop bad news. I am emotionally drained with working and trying to get by holding myself together. Even after all this trauma, he is still some what strong and able to do everything for himself but has yet been put on a ward with the elderly at end of life. This baffles me. The hospital is so slow at doing anything I'm hoping tomorrow he can rather go home with daily carers or to a hospice. He is not coping in the hospital Pensive

• Hi  I am so sorry to read about the journey your dad is in and the emotional and practical challenges you are dealing with…… you are an amazing daughter and I am sure your dad is very proud of you.

When it comes to the practical and emotional challenges of supporting your dad you may benefit from joining and posting in our Carers only support group where you will connect with others navigating the exact same support challenges.

Do remember that Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00.

This service provides cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

Talking to people face to face can be very helpful so do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and support all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge