How to keep positive?

• 3 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Feel very negative . My oh has prostrate cancer been thru alot with Rt and HT had 3 operations to ease pain. So far the treatment has worked but has left him in a right mess. He also has another type of cancer which needs another operation its an early diagnosis but still a worry and he is a slow healer so more pain etc.

I try and remain positive but think inside this is our life now . A cycle of operations treatments pain    etc 

Frightened it will keep coming back ?

• Hi  sorry to read your post….. it is a challenge to deal with the noise between the ears and the positivity head at times can be difficult to keep going.

My journey is very different as I am the one with the cancer. Diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable and challenging type of blood cancer. The longest remission I had over the first 15 years was about 9 months…… by my mindset was all about ‘hope’ a hope that my clinical team could find the next tool in the box to deal with this…… in late 2013 we were down to the last tool and if it did not work then I had a few years looking at palliative care……. I am 10 years on and obviously the tool worked and the amazing thig is that a few new tools have now found their way into the box.

Even when the journey get very hard (see my story through the link below) we need to hold onto Hope…… and there is no need to keep trying to be positive turn this into hopefulness Instead.

As a family we refuse to allow my cancer and cancer journey define how we live…… we define our life and how we get on with it…… and should something click off in the future we roll our sleeves up again and deal with it.

You may find talking this through with someone so the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00. This service provides practical information, emotional support, or just a listening ear.

Do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area, do also check for a local Maggie's Centre as these folks are amazing and give support to all the family.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• going through similar.  Prognosis is not so good, but start to live in the now.  Not a magic bullet but this "one day at a time" has helped me a bit ..... and breathe.  I'm pretty down at the moment but I know it will not be a permanent state of mind.  Start looking at the now, and count each day as a bonus.  (says she who is not the perfect example!)

• Sending u a hug x i went on a little holiday and that gave me a boost  ..its very tough. Hope u can find some nice things to do and enjoy your 'bonus ' days for a long while yet. Wish the treatmentsSleepyidn't knock everyone so hard Sleepy  think that's the one thing I wish I could change for everyone with cancer.